Fahrenheit

About all kinds of video games: PC, XBOX, GC, PS2, etc.

Moderators: gail, phil1908

Fahrenheit

Postby Senta » Thu 22 Sep 2005 11:19

My husband bought this on PS2 last weekend.
I usually do not like to play any game with action. Let's see what it would be like. Marco likes it and said I will too.
Takes one, to know one sweetheart.
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Postby gail » Fri 23 Sep 2005 00:24

The demo looked good. Phil said he has the game too.

Hope both of you post your thoughts about Fahrenheit here.
gail
Site Admin

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Fri 23 Sep 2005 00:37

Of all the games out there... Fahrenheit has been, what I think, is a successful modernization of the adventure game genre. The Broken Sword 3 demo was kind of broken to me. And I've played others that were simply atrocious.

I hope to try Fahrenheit and hopefully come out happy with the game.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby phil1908 » Fri 23 Sep 2005 07:15

that kind of game is very new...as you have to play with 3 different characters!
moreover, all what you do or the questions you ask can bring you to an other option of the game

for more details, everyone can always take a look at the AE site; tehy have a demo and an interview from the writer, David Cage

I'm slowly in the game, but as soon as possible, Iwill write my first impressions
phil1908
Site Admin

Just played the demo, some thoughts...

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Sun 20 Nov 2005 23:29

I have often been a harsh critic over adventure games throughout the years. Developers nowadays settle for rehashed early 90 designs for current adventure games and these games usually leave me unimpressed and often very angry. To use such archaic designs are no longer forgiveable as the current generation of gamers are more sophisticated than before. They demand more from games and usually find the satisfaction elsewhere. With Fahrenheit, I can gladly say it is the complete opposite. Quantum Dreams have managed to reinvent the genre by having the common sense of applying modern designs and technologies to provide a fresh new experience that will appeal to old adventure gamers and new alike. If you are skeptic over the game, I can assure you that you can stop reading this review, skip the demo, and get the game.

For the stubborn ones, the demo is sure to leave you craving for more. Fahrenheit starts out with Lucas Kane, who seemingly possessed, kills a mysterious person in a diner. This immediately brings up a lot of unanswered questions for Lucas and for you. Fahrenheit's writing in the demo has been very nicely prepared, although the demo ends too soon to give you any idea of what has happened. You can pick up more clues by doing other actions and you can do other actions that can give you an easier time but perhaps leave some details. The graphical work on Fahrenheit is superb although the facial acting still needs some work. The city is nicely rendered but seems a bit too small an area to wander around to. The weather effects are really good. The visual elements successfully come together to bring a very believable environment. The audio is very nicely done although musical cues could have made the whole in-game experience a whole lot better in the demo. The controls take some time to get used to. It's very clear this game was designed from a console perspective. The default controls are a bit clunky. You have the directional keys to move the character. Going near hotspots will present different actions you can do. Each action presented to you has a corresponding mouse gesture to do while holding the left mouse button, which takes some time to get use to but aren't terribly difficult to adapt to. The right mouse button allows you to switch the camera views to give you a good idea of the area. The stress action sequence happens when your character needs to exert effort to perform the action. It involves hitting the left and right keys alternately quickly to do the action faster. The controls setup is a welcome change but can be made better in another iteration. The game also does a neat split-screen action sequence that creates a good tense situation. There's plenty of things to do as well as different solutions (although not drastically different solutions) that makes the game interesting and very replayable.

Fahrenheit raises the bar over all adventure games. Not only does it present very nice visuals and audio, but also a very fresh game design that reinvigorates the genre. Get the demo if you like, but it's a waste of time. Find a copy of the game. The demo would've convinced you to do it anyway.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby Ante » Sun 27 Nov 2005 09:45

Fahrenheit - this rocks! It's not an adventure game in the traditional meaning but complitely something new. On one level the game is really hollow*, on other level it's pretty damn clever, innovative, fresh and worth of every hailing word. I love it and want more!

*) Minigames, just like in Shenmue and Resident Evil 4
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Ante » Wed 30 Nov 2005 21:09

Whoa - what an experience! This game really brings fresh blood into the adventure game genre. It's like the whole idea of adventure games has been torn into pieces and reassembled keeping in mind two things - 1) playing the game should be fun and challenging and 2) player must have a feeling that something is constantly happening.
Fahrenheit is not for you who want to
- hunt pixels
- run around without a clue and trying to figure it out what to do next
- collect every single item that is not bolted on the floor
- talk with everyone about everything until there is no discussion options left
- wait for the main character to walk across the screen (where nothing actually happens) and across the other screen (nothing happens here) and the third one (yep, you quessed right, this screen has no point either) and even the fourth one (yeah, keep on walking, you'll get there... someday)...
- solve problems like "thow the alarm clock into the river and it will be eaten by an alligator which will get spasms and splash the water so that a fish will fly just in right of your feet which you can use to lure the cat away from the door and enter into the museum" -rubbish

Anyone else - any experiences to share?
Ante
Site Admin

Postby phil1908 » Thu 1 Dec 2005 08:37

I'm only starting with it since...ooops...several months and the 1st thing I have really appreciated is the different ends you gan give to your game...

It can be finished after a few minutes if you're lost with the 1st place/reaction...
phil1908
Site Admin

Postby Sunich » Wed 11 Jan 2006 18:49

Thanks for such a cool game review, NiniendoLeibowitz. Ok, people, you've convinced me to get the game whatever it takes.
Sunich
VIP

Postby SyberiaWinx » Sat 29 Jul 2006 07:28

This game starts out really good, but then seems to lose something in the middle of the story. The ending leaves much to be desired, also. And while it is fun to have so many options, ultimately, most of them end the same, even with the same dialogue. And pushing those darn trigger buttons like that gets so painful.>.<
SyberiaWinx
Youki

Postby gail » Sat 29 Jul 2006 14:25

Those button pushing segments were fun at first. I almost resorted to using my gamepad later in the game. I've read in other forums that it makes it much easier to complete those sequences using a gamepad.
gail
Site Admin

sense

Postby huangdong68 » Tue 28 Dec 2010 15:54

delete by phil1908
no advertising
huangdong68

Re: Fahrenheit

Postby evilronald » Tue 18 Jan 2011 16:24

Hi everyone :hello: , i still have my original xbox version, it is a really great game*and overlooked in my opinion*
Im sure the game had a different name in some regions though...cant remember what it was, anyone?
evilronald
Youki

Re: Fahrenheit

Postby gail » Tue 18 Jan 2011 23:48

:hello: Hi evilronald and welcome to the forum.
The USA, edited version was called "Indigo Prophecy". I enjoyed Fahrenheit too.
gail
Site Admin

Return to EN - Games Related