Steampunk fantasy elements

Moderators: gail, phil1908

Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby soulcypher » Tue 2 Aug 2016 22:23

Previous titles have very subtle and remarkable elements from steampunk/art deco genre.
Will Sybera III also have that artstyle?
Will it have something new which we haven't seen before?
Will it feature dystopian fantasy aspects as well?
soulcypher
Youki
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue 2 Aug 2016 21:45

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby Siren Drake » Wed 3 Aug 2016 18:31

Except for a brief glimpse of an automaton, I did not see the steampunk/art deco style of Syberia 1 & 2 in any of the E3 video for Syberia 3. But all we really saw in that E3 video was one location, and I don't know how much gameplay takes place there.

Based on what I saw in the E3 video, Syberia 3 will be darker and edgier and closer to dystopian. I don't know that it will have any more fantastical elements than Syberia 1 or 2 did.

You have some excellent questions, but unless someone from Microids/Anumen Interactive wants to weigh in, I don't believe any of us can give you any definitive answers until the game is actually released.
Siren Drake
Youki
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat 30 Jul 2016 00:10

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby soulcypher » Wed 3 Aug 2016 20:55

Siren Drake wrote:You have some excellent questions, but unless someone from Microids/Anumen Interactive wants to weigh in, I don't believe any of us can give you any definitive answers until the game is actually released.


I would like that and I can't wait for gamescon.
soulcypher
Youki
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue 2 Aug 2016 21:45

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby Loty Borodine » Wed 3 Aug 2016 21:35

Hi.
I like Syberia for its steampunk elements, and though I'm sure that the third will be an excellent title anyway ... a bit would mind if it changes genre
- Everything I have designed, all that I have invented! Everything! Is for her -
User avatar
Loty Borodine
Automaton
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed 1 Jun 2016 01:56
Location: Komkolzgrad

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby soulcypher » Wed 3 Aug 2016 22:08

Loty Borodine wrote:Hi.
I like Syberia for its steampunk elements, and though I'm sure that the third will be an excellent title anyway ... a bit would mind if it changes genre


I would like that genre continues with strong dystopian steampunk aspect but also
that expands the concept of Syberia in unusual way.
Something like legend of the Atlantis has.

1) seeing strange unexplored world beyond the mammoths
2) exploring the ancient cold-icy cities, ruins, underground areas etc.
3) meeting different creatures, automatons and characters
4) automaton city

Basically, to go wild with imagination.
Some concepts of Altantis and steampunk world:
https://cdna0.artstation.com/p/assets/c ... 1441248801

http://iliketowastemytime.com/sites/def ... y_aksu.jpg

Image
soulcypher
Youki
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue 2 Aug 2016 21:45

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby Siren Drake » Wed 3 Aug 2016 23:13

Loty Borodine wrote:Hi.
I like Syberia for its steampunk elements, and though I'm sure that the third will be an excellent title anyway ... a bit would mind if it changes genre


For me, the scenery was always a big selling point. I especially liked Validilene and the Romansburg monastery. I also liked the automatons and experimenting with the different machinery.

I'm a little anxious about this new title. So far, I haven't seen much that appeals to me.
Siren Drake
Youki
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat 30 Jul 2016 00:10

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby Siren Drake » Wed 3 Aug 2016 23:34

soulcypher wrote:I would like that genre continues with strong dystopian steampunk aspect but also
that expands the concept of Syberia in unusual way.
Something like legend of the Atlantis has.

1) seeing strange unexplored world beyond the mammoths
2) exploring the ancient cold-icy cities, ruins, underground areas etc.
3) meeting different creatures, automatons and characters
4) automaton city


I have no objection to having Syberia be expanded in an unusual way with a cool steampunk look. I'm just not particularly excited about seeing more primitive structures built from sticks and rope on a landscape of unremitting ice.

As for having the steampunk be dystopian, I can only ask why you would want such a thing? The first two games were as close to dystopian as they needed to be. If the opening of the third game is any indication, it's going to be darker, edgier, grittier, and more dystopian than Syberia 1 or 2, and that's one of the things that pissed me off. The gaming market is flooded with apocalyptic, dystopian worlds. The last thing we need in gaming is more dystopia. For God's sake, why should my relaxing entertainment be so blasted grim, ugly, nasty, brutish, and short? I'm sick unto death of dystopian game environments. I don't think I ever want to see another one.

As for new creatures, we're getting some: snow ostriches. Yay. </sarcasm>

Fantasy creatures are difficult to implement well in video games. Most of the time, they come across as weirdly unrealistic in their structure and movements. Furthermore, I don't think that animating creatures is one of Microids' strong suits. The animation of the mammoths at the end of Syberia 2 was wretchedly bad, and all they needed to do with those was model them on elephants.

Besides, it's not that easy to incorporate live animals into adventure game puzzles, and if they aren't part of the puzzles, they're just animated scenery which makes them far too expensive to develop for any value they might add.
Siren Drake
Youki
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat 30 Jul 2016 00:10

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby Loty Borodine » Thu 4 Aug 2016 01:53

Honestly, I'd like to see another place like Komkolzgrad, is my favourite location.
However, I also agree that it would be nice to see something new.
P.s. The pictures posted by soulcypher are really fantastic.
- Everything I have designed, all that I have invented! Everything! Is for her -
User avatar
Loty Borodine
Automaton
 
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed 1 Jun 2016 01:56
Location: Komkolzgrad

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby soulcypher » Thu 4 Aug 2016 02:15

Siren Drake wrote:I have no objection to having Syberia be expanded in an unusual way with a cool steampunk look. I'm just not particularly excited about seeing more primitive structures built from sticks and rope on a landscape of unremitting ice.

As for having the steampunk be dystopian, I can only ask why you would want such a thing?


Dystopian steampunk decorated as much as Syberia's lore allows it.
Why? I like the style of Syberia's architecture. It's masterpiece.

I would like this architectual designs expanded in future sequels.
So, cities (dystopian and mechanical), ruins (connected to the story), villages, outskirts ...
soulcypher
Youki
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue 2 Aug 2016 21:45

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby Siren Drake » Thu 4 Aug 2016 03:00

soulcypher wrote:
Siren Drake wrote:I have no objection to having Syberia be expanded in an unusual way with a cool steampunk look. I'm just not particularly excited about seeing more primitive structures built from sticks and rope on a landscape of unremitting ice.

As for having the steampunk be dystopian, I can only ask why you would want such a thing?


Dystopian steampunk decorated as much as Syberia's lore allows it.
Why? I like the style of Syberia's architecture. It's masterpiece.

I would like this architectual designs expanded in future sequels.
So, cities (dystopian and mechanical), ruins (connected to the story), villages, outskirts ...


I love the style of architecture in Validilene and the Romansburg monastery. But I wouldn't call them all that dystopian. Are you sure you're using the right word?
Siren Drake
Youki
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat 30 Jul 2016 00:10

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby Siren Drake » Thu 4 Aug 2016 03:08

Loty Borodine wrote:Honestly, I'd like to see another place like Komkolzgrad, is my favourite location.
However, I also agree that it would be nice to see something new.
P.s. The pictures posted by soulcypher are really fantastic.


Komkolzgrad is not my favorite location, but it is cool and a nice change of pace.

My order of preference primarily based on aesthetics:
1. Validilene
2. Romansburg monastery
3. Barrockstadt
4. Aralbad
5. forest outside Romansburg
6. Komkolzgrad
7. Romansburg
8. Syberia/Youkol village
9. spooky hospitals that torture people
Siren Drake
Youki
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat 30 Jul 2016 00:10

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby soulcypher » Thu 4 Aug 2016 03:49

Siren Drake wrote:I love the style of architecture in Validilene and the Romansburg monastery. But I wouldn't call them all that dystopian. Are you sure you're using the right word?



Maybe not to it's fullest meaning.
It's my view on Syberia as a whole. It's not said anywhere but is implied.
When Kate came from the law firm to Valadilene, I got the feel she was shifted to another world. I believe it's metaphor because there is a strong contrast between her's corporate world as a layer and Valadilene. She gradually accept it as unordinary one when she discovers automaton toy factory. She falls to the road that will change her.
She admits this change and welcomes it.
Maybe better word is escapism as a freedom from the chains of corporate world.

Loty Borodine wrote:P.s. The pictures posted by soulcypher are really fantastic.


Yep, would like to see similar architecture. :)
soulcypher
Youki
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue 2 Aug 2016 21:45

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby Siren Drake » Thu 4 Aug 2016 04:07

soulcypher wrote:
Siren Drake wrote:I love the style of architecture in Validilene and the Romansburg monastery. But I wouldn't call them all that dystopian. Are you sure you're using the right word?



Maybe not to it's fullest meaning.
It's my view on Syberia as a whole. It's not said anywhere but is implied.
When Kate came from the law firm to Valadilene, I got the feel she was shifted to another world. I believe it's metaphor because there is a strong contrast between her's corporate world as a layer and Valadilene. She gradually accept it as unordinary world when she discovers automaton toy factory. She falls to the road that will change her.
She admits this change and welcomes it.
Maybe better word is escapism as a freedom from her's chains of corporate world.

Loty Borodine wrote:P.s. The pictures posted by soulcypher are really fantastic.


Yep, would like to see similar architecture. :)


A dystopian world is the opposite of a utopian world. TV Tropes would call it a crapsack world. A dystopian world is a world where everything is grim, bleak, ugly, depressing, and everything is trying to kill you. You know: like the Earth after it has been ravaged by nuclear war so only a few remaining humans left alive are struggling to survive in the face of inadequate food, vicious bandits, radiation poisoning, mutated predators, etc.

Edited to add: Perhaps you meant surreal or fantastical.

SPOILERS AHEAD FOR BOTH SYBERIA 1 & 2

No, I don't think Kate entered another world until she went into Hans's dream in the Youkol village. It's just that the places she visits have been cut off from the rest of the world for so long that they have that kind of vibe.

Clearly she did feel an urge to escape her old life. She had a boss who didn't appreciate her, a fiance who cheated on her, a best friend who slept with the fiance, and a ditzy mother who was too busy chasing boytoys to pay attention to her daughter. In all honesty, Kate didn't have a lot back home to miss.
Siren Drake
Youki
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat 30 Jul 2016 00:10

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby soulcypher » Sat 8 Oct 2016 12:07

Siren Drake wrote:
A dystopian world is the opposite of a utopian world. TV Tropes would call it a crapsack world. A dystopian world is a world where everything is grim, bleak, ugly, depressing, and everything is trying to kill you. You know: like the Earth after it has been ravaged by nuclear war so only a few remaining humans left alive are struggling to survive in the face of inadequate food, vicious bandits, radiation poisoning, mutated predators, etc.

Edited to add: Perhaps you meant surreal or fantastical.


Oh, I didn't see the edit till now.
Yes, surreal and steampunk fits better than dystopian.

No, I don't think Kate entered another world until she went into Hans's dream in the Youkol village. It's just that the places she visits have been cut off from the rest of the world for so long that they have that kind of vibe.

Clearly she did feel an urge to escape her old life. She had a boss who didn't appreciate her, a fiance who cheated on her, a best friend who slept with the fiance, and a ditzy mother who was too busy chasing boytoys to pay attention to her daughter. In all honesty, Kate didn't have a lot back home to miss.


My interpretation of Kate's journey is a metaphorical. She feels like she entered another world due to contrast of the world she left behind.
soulcypher
Youki
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue 2 Aug 2016 21:45

Re: Steampunk fantasy elements

Postby Siren Drake » Mon 10 Oct 2016 15:38

It probably did feel like another world to her.
Siren Drake
Youki
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat 30 Jul 2016 00:10


Return to EN - Syberia III

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron