About Hans Voralberg: (spoilers)

The sequel...

Moderators: gail, phil1908

About Hans Voralberg: (spoilers)

Postby Curiousriz » Wed 18 Aug 2010 23:47

I finished both games recently and since there WILL be a 3rd game, I started thinking about the things that were never explained.

In Syberia, there is a passage in Anna's Diary that mentioned Hans' eyes glowing when she mentioned the accident at the cave. This isn't exact but: "I couldn't take it anymore I had to ask Hans about the cave. ...his eyes glowed and all he said was Mammoths."

Gah, I wish I took a screen shot of it. OH well. It's pretty close. I don't remember the date but it's not hard to find.

Another thing, I don't think head trauma can stop you from growing. Even if this is fiction.

-- So in Syberia, I thought that Hans wasn't normal anymore. Like he was possessed by some spirit from the mammoth doll.

As I played through Syberia 2 and learned more about the youkals and finally SAW the youkals. I REALLY thought that Hans' was possessed by some spirit. He looked JUST like them, aside from the skin color of coarse. xD lol He's also obsessed with mammoths. There are other traits like slow speech (although they sort of changed that in II and the Youkals (some) spoke english which isn't there first language) but doesn't really count.

In the end, he rides the mammoth just like the doll.

Okay, I know there is a logical explanation like: The last thing he saw and was reaching for was a mammoth doll. So when he awoke from his head trauma the only thing he could think of was mammoths. He also remembered his sister because she was with him when it happened. Eventually he became obsessed with mammoths which grew more and more as he got older. His talent helped him get to where he needed to go but age hindered his journey. His learning of the youkals was convenient/coincidental (for games sake) which eventually led him to where he needed to go, in order to find mammoths.

No fun in that though ;( If that's all it is then he's going off to die with them OR Dream accomplished, then what? Assuming he doesn't die, that is. I mean if this is all then what more is there to do in Syberia 3?
If he's dead, then what is there for Kate to do?
It's just so sad. No more Voralberg blood line to continue that wonderful talent he had. If it was a spirit then it's dream (which became Hans') would finally be at piece and 'maybe' there can be some sort of rewind. Like a 2nd chance at life. Eh, probably not but it's just so sad that he never got married or had kids because he was so stuck on mammoths. ;( Look at poor Helena, she was in love with him but never said anything of it because she didn't want to get in the way of Hans' goals and maybe her own. It was only at old age did she regret not saying anything or going with him. Yet she still couldn't even face him at the end of Syberia. :(

I hope Momo is in it at least. Such a sweet kid. Sad that Oscar won't be around. Maybe if Hans survives then he can rebuild Oscar..maybe. I doubt he'll be the same though.

It's all so depressing. :tsk:

I mean Kate is the only one who can actually get a life but that won't happen anytime soon. The poor girl is stuck on some mystery island that can only be gotten to by that boat. Sigh, at least she has Youki.
Curiousriz
Youki

Re: About Hans Voralberg: (spoilers)

Postby geosouv » Fri 27 Sep 2013 06:31

Curiousriz,

I think your thoughts on Hans Voralberg and Syberia 2 are of high value. Your questions are ones we all have about the games. I think that Syberia 2's ending leaves a lot of questions unanswered. But I think it's all part of the intensely melancholic attitude of the game. The game is a drama, so it is intended by Benoit Sokal to be sad.

I was also very sad and angry at Hans when he sacrificed Oscar's life for totally selfish reasons. I think generally speaking that the best characters of the game and the protagonists are Kate and Oscar. I think Hans is quite selfish and obsessed and I never liked him much. Personally I would prefer if Hans had died (he was too old anyway) and Oscar lived on :roll: But the game wouldn't have an ending like the one it had.

Please tell us more of your interesting thoughts :)
It's all about the story, the atmosphere, the music, the characters, the dialogs
adventurades.blogspot.gr/
bookhobby.blogspot.com/
dvdsandpopcorn.blogspot.com/
ultratechproducts.blogspot.com/
https://www.patreon.com/adventurades
geosouv
Youki

Postby Siren Drake » Sun 31 Jul 2016 00:03

Curiousriz wrote:In Syberia, there is a passage in Anna's Diary that mentioned Hans' eyes glowing when she mentioned the accident at the cave. This isn't exact but: "I couldn't take it anymore I had to ask Hans about the cave. ...his eyes glowed and all he said was Mammoths."

-- So in Syberia, I thought that Hans wasn't normal anymore. Like he was possessed by some spirit from the mammoth doll.

I'm pretty sure that the reference to "glowing" eyes is the standard idiom used to indicate excitement, nothing more. I don't believe the writers meant to s-u-g-g-e-s-t that his eyes were literally glowing or that he had been possessed by a spirit.

And why is the word s-u-g-g-e-s-t being replaced by "egg"?! There's something a little screwy going on with the code for this forum.
Siren Drake
Youki

Postby Ante » Sun 31 Jul 2016 20:31

Offtopic, but "suggest" works just fine.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Siren Drake » Sun 31 Jul 2016 22:42

Ante wrote:Offtopic, but "suggest" works just fine.

It does now. Apparently, any words with "ugg" in them were being replaced with "egg" because of problems with bots.
Siren Drake
Youki

Return to EN - Syberia II