Question about a video card for Compaq Presario 061

Forum games, funny talk and general crazyness :)

Moderators: gail, phil1908

Question about a video card for Compaq Presario 061

Postby Krysie » Fri 7 Apr 2006 18:39

Hi there

I was wondering if someone that knows alot about computers and video cards could be so kind to tell me what kind of video card do I need to get for my compaq computer? I am not getting it to play the sims 2 or anything (as I use my other computer, Dell, to play TS2 and TS2 doesn't run on this computer), I just want this computer to run faster. I'm getting more ram and a new card (because I want one and need one) for this one (Compaq Presario 061). Btw, I have two PCI slots. Please respond asap.

The specs are as follows:

Device (Card that is in now)

Name: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
Chip type: S3 ProsavageDDR
DAC Type: S3 SDAC
Approx. Total Memory: 32.0
(If you need more info, let me know.)

The system tab says this:

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP +2400, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 96MD RAM
DirectX Version: 9.0
(If you need more info, let me know.)

Thank you so much to whoever helps me!
¤Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you'll still land amongst the stars¤
Krysie
VIP

Postby Pifou » Sat 8 Apr 2006 10:15

Krysie,

First check in your BIOS if you can disable the integrated S3 ProsavageDDR,
because, if you cannot and put a new PCI video card in the slot, your pc will still start on the S3 ProsavageDDR and not on the new one...
so, waste of time and money for you...

If yes, take care and be sure to choose the good PCI format card because new generation of PCI video cards are PCI Express format and i'm not sure
they can work in "old" PCI slot.

PCI Express is going to replace the current AGP slot because faster but as far as i can understand, you do not have any AGP slot available on your Compaq...

++
Pif
Pifou
Shaman

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Sun 9 Apr 2006 03:35

Krysie,

'Want to make your computer go faster' is too vague a demand. It really depends on the workload of your pc. What you do with it is what counts. If there's no 3D processing being done, your S3 will suffice.

Your computer badly needs ram. 96 MB system RAM for Windows XP is far too low. 128 MB is already below the recommended size of ram, having your video card steal 32 MB from it hurts a whole bunch more.

Get at least 256 MB system ram for your Windows, as much as possible taking into account the fact that your S3 Savage eats 32 MB of your system RAM for video.

If your computer does any 3D processing, I suggest taking a look at your motherboard model. Check the manufacturer's website or any manual that comes with your computer. If your computer has an AGP slot you're in luck (relatively as compared to only PCI slots). Most likely your machine DOES NOT come with PCI express slots although it will also be prudent to check those.

Pifou is right in that you have to go check your BIOS to see if you can disable the onboard video card (which is the normal case... otherwise your manufacturer is stupid).

Anyway, if you're not too freaky about computers just open the case and take a look, or maybe take a snapshot and post it here. That should give us a better idea of what your computer can do.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby Krysie » Sun 9 Apr 2006 07:04

Hi, thanks so much to the both of you.

My brother knows about all that and he came down and I told him to look at the computer. He said there are two available PCI slots.

I heard, not from my brother but from a friend of mine, that the GeForce 5500 PCI slot comes with 256MB Ram. Would that work?
Krysie
VIP

Postby Pifou » Sun 9 Apr 2006 13:27

Krysie,

Normally, as i could see, you can configure your Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG to switch the video source from APG(/integrated) to PCI

Source

Please check this possibility directly from your computer and confirm...
This very important.
Now i will take a look to see if the GeForce 5500 PCI 256MB Ram is suitable for "old" PCI slots...

NiniendoLeibowitz wrote:I suggest taking a look at your motherboard model

hmm.. good idea, what's your motherboard model Krysie ?...

See you
Pif
Pifou
Shaman

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Sun 9 Apr 2006 23:38

PCI express support is fairly new on GeForce 5 series. Krysie, be sure to note the distinction from PCI express and PCI slots.

Either case, if you buy a 5500 256 MB and slap it in your computer, all you do is free the 32 mb from the S3 video card. That means you only have 128 MB system RAM and your computer will still be panting for air.

Buy RAM sticks. And as I said earlier, whether or not you buy a video card wholely depends on what YOU want yur computer to do...
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby Pifou » Mon 10 Apr 2006 20:44

Ok ok,

i would say ok for your GeForce 5500 PCI 256MB Ram...
you can find it for $79.71 on Amazon :
Amazon.com

++ and have fun...
Pif :wink:
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Krysie » Mon 10 Apr 2006 22:15

Oh, thanks again guys! :)
The card is way cheaper on there! I bought the same card for the Dell at Buy Best and it was $102.99 there. :shock:

How much do you think RAM will cost me? And where to purchase?
Could it be purchased at Best Buy or a store like it? I can't purchase on the net as I have no credit card. :( Thanks again for the help.
Krysie
VIP

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Mon 10 Apr 2006 22:40

Krysie,

I think you can purchase RAM sticks online or at any computer shop. The tricky part is figuring out what to buy. Memory RAM sticks come with different brands, different storage sizes, different architectures and different bus speeds.

Here's where knowledge of your own motherboard becomes critical because that will dictate the kind of memory you should be buying.

So, I would suggest you figure out what your motherboard is.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby gail » Tue 11 Apr 2006 03:37

Krysie,
Try http://www.crucial.com/ for your RAM. I paid half the price online compared to Best Buy's 'deals'. A ram stick is very easy to install too.

You can find out what your motherboard (main circuit board) is by running Belarc Advisor's, Computer Profile Summary.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Good Luck!

Edit: I just noticed that you can detect your hardware at Crucial.com too. http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/
gail
Site Admin

Postby Krysie » Wed 12 Apr 2006 00:30

Thanks so much! I'll go to that link now! hehe :)

(Information removed, since question has been answered, thanks)
Last edited by Krysie on Wed 12 Apr 2006 01:01, edited 5 times in total.
Krysie
VIP

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Wed 12 Apr 2006 00:45

Here are the results:
Computer Manufacturer:Compaq
Computer Model:Presario S4020WM.
CPU Manufacturer:AuthenticAMD
CPU Family:AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
CPU Speed:1998MHz
Front-Side Bus Speed:133 MHz

Currently Installed Memory:128 MB
Maximum Memory Capacity:1024 MB
Total Number Of Memory Slots:2
Available Memory Slots :1

Slot 1
128 MB
Non-parity DDR PC2100

What I especially hate about branded PCs is that it never gives owners sufficient information. Again, the motherboard information is missing.

I'll check out information on Presario S4020WM and see what I find.

Your memory stick is 128 mb DDR PC2100. Since we don't know what your motherboard is, you might want to look for a 256 mb DDR stick with around the same bus speed (PC2100). Better yet, get a 512 mb stick if you can find one. If you can spend on good memory brands, Corsair RAM sticks are very nice.

EDIT:

Here's a more informative page on your PC.
http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_t ... id=2432552
Last edited by NiniendoLeibowitz on Wed 12 Apr 2006 00:47, edited 1 time in total.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby Krysie » Wed 12 Apr 2006 00:47

Thanks so much! :) I edited the last post with the results of the motherboard test. Thank you for that link! :)
Last edited by Krysie on Wed 12 Apr 2006 00:55, edited 1 time in total.
Krysie
VIP

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Wed 12 Apr 2006 00:54

Here's a link that details the Aopen MK77M-V... based on the Via km266 chipset as provided by the other link.

http://www.extrememhz.com/aopen-p1.shtml

As expected, the memory bus speed is DDR 266 or PC2100. So, you'll need to find like 256 mb stick DDR (or DDR 1) with around 266 MHz speed or... PC2100. I don't know if you can slap in a 333 in... I heard that the 333 stick will just perform at 266 but I'm not too sure.

Get 256 mb or 512 mb... on a side note, this pc is very old.

PS - Krysie, remove your serial numbers. Not very safe to have that revealed in the public.
Last edited by NiniendoLeibowitz on Wed 12 Apr 2006 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby Krysie » Wed 12 Apr 2006 00:57

Thanks so much! This helps alot. I'll have my brother come down and read this and he can just purchase it for me,lol. I'll give him the money though. And yes this pc is getting old. I purchased it in November of 2003.
Everyone gets on it here pretty much everyday.

Which part are the serial numbers? Where is it?
I dunno.. edit: I've removed all info.
Last edited by Krysie on Wed 12 Apr 2006 01:02, edited 2 times in total.
Krysie
VIP

Next

Return to EN - Off topic madness!