Conan O´Brien in Finland :P

Forum games, funny talk and general crazyness :)

Moderators: gail, phil1908

Conan O´Brien in Finland :P

Postby Senta » Sat 11 Feb 2006 19:19

Hi folk if you have watched the show "Late night with Conan O´Brien" from NBC, you propably already know that he is gonna visit here in Finland. He has arrived here today 8)

http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Cona ... ndex.shtml

Oops :oops: To the page from here

Ok... This is not my day I stop editing and go to sleep :(
Just copy/paste the address if you want :P
Good night folk :D
Takes one, to know one sweetheart.
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Postby David » Sun 12 Feb 2006 20:15

HELSINKI, Finland (AP) - U.S. TV talk show host Conan O'Brien, who endorsed the re-election of Finnish President Tarja Halonen with mock ad campaigns because if his supposed resemblance to her, expects to be rewarded with a cabinet position as a sauna inspector.

Hundreds of fans welcomed O'Brien on Saturday to a freezing Helsinki - the capital of the land of the saunas - two weeks after Halonen, 62, secured a second six-year term as Finland's first female president.

After arriving at the airport, the quirky, self-deprecating NBC network host said he will ask "Tarja" for a cabinet position when he meets her Feb. 14.

"In my country, when someone is instrumental in helping someone get elected it's customary for the president to give that person a cabinet or ministerial position," O'Brien said in the airport's VIP lounge.

"I'd like to be the inspector of saunas, mostly women's saunas," he said.

Organizers said some 2,000 fans waited for hours in freezing temperatures to catch a glimpse of the TV host who has become unusually popular in the country of five million on the northern fringes of Europe.

O'Brien has joked his show is highly popular in Finland because of his resemblance to the fair-skinned, red-haired Halonen. Last year, he caused a political stir for endorsing her during her campaign, broadcasting mock ads promoting her and attacking her opponents.

"Why do I support Tarja Halonen? Because she's got the total package: a dynamic personality, a quick mind and most importantly - my good looks," the comedian said.

Late Night with Conan O'Brien airs five days a week on SUBTV, a Finnish cable channel, with a few days delay. And every time he mentions Finland or Halonen, local news media report it prominently.

The waiting fans at the airport were not disappointed. They roared and screamed when he stepped outside.

A soldier in uniform said: "The army loves him."

"He lightens our lives in the evenings quite a bit," said Cpl. Mattias Ronnberg, an 18-year-old conscript.

"I've been particularly taken by his Tarja quips," said Heidi Ojalammi, 25, from Helsinki.

"If you look really close, you could imagine that they look similar," she said with a laugh.

After his Tuesday meeting at the presidential palace with Halonen, O'Brien is scheduled to receive a TV award for being "the most surprising and entertaining TV personality in Finland."

He said he might also visit Arctic Lapland, some 800 kilometres north of the capital, with his accompanying camera crew.

Finland will become just another stamp in O'Brien's passport: he has filmed past segments in Canada, Ireland, Australia, Germany and the Netherlands.
© The Canadian Press 2006

:P
David
VIP

Postby gail » Mon 13 Feb 2006 17:15

That's great Senta and so is the fact that your first female President was elected there. 8)
gail
Site Admin

Postby Ante » Tue 14 Feb 2006 07:32

News flash:

The yesterdays tabloid papers had topics of Conan's visit. If you watched the show, you can probably remember that Conan wondered by himself whether he'll eventually become a Finn thanks to all his enthusiasm. Well, that ain't going to happen any time soon because, according to the tabloild topics, the Finnish sauna was too much for him! :) Because sauna is really one thing that separates us, Finns, from the rest of the people, I mean people, non Finns, who don't go to sauna.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Vivie » Tue 14 Feb 2006 11:21

Ante...

what is the sauna there?
Vivie
VIP

Re: Conan O´Brien in Finland :P

Postby Pifou » Tue 14 Feb 2006 11:35

Senta wrote:Ok... This is not my day I stop editing and go to sleep :(

lol Senta, :lol:

if you want a web address to work with a quote inside you must use ascii code %27 to replace the quote...

http://www.nbc.com/Late_Night_with_Cona ... ndex.shtml

hehe
ImageImageImage
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Ante » Tue 14 Feb 2006 13:30

Vivie wrote:Ante...

what is the sauna there?

The Finnish sauna includes (Senta, correct me if I'm wrong)

- bathing naked (no towels, swimsuits etc.)
- temperature 60 Celcius or above, normally around 80 Celcius
- sometimes me*) and women bathing together, not common though. Usually men in the family bath together and then women bath together (because it takes more time)
- drinking beer or soda after bathing
- NO washing, scratching, removing dirt in sauna, that for the shower area! Just sit there and sweat.
- Talking yes, shouting no - keep it down
- sometimes using "vihta" (use the Google image search to find out what it is), normally during the Summer only
- sit as long as you like
- go to sauna as many times you like
- have a refreshing shower between
- or swim in the lake if there's one nearby even if it's winter
- or roll in the snow
- throw water on stove but ask from others before if it's ok (usually men go into this "who's going to last longest" competition which is totally against the essence of sauna)

That's about it. When I visited in Germany I saw one pretty wierd sauna. It had instructions next to door. That was kind of funny because in order to enjoy bath and sauna you just need to use your common sense.

*) Naturally this is a typo - I intended to write men, not me. Noticed that when I went to read my posting one more time.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Senta » Wed 15 Feb 2006 12:46

Gail wrote:That's great Senta and so is the fact that your first female President was elected there.
Yes :) She was re-elected again on January :D

Pifou, this happens to me sometimes :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Vivie wrote:what is the sauna there?

I'll just add little to Ante's list (which is a very good list indeed) :D

-Sauna is NOT a brothel! Sometimes brothels are called Sauna abroad.
-Finnish people usually have sauna of their own. In
-60C is quite low temperature in Sauna (80-120C IMHO)
-Sauna, warmed up with firewood is a lot better than electric-sauna.
"- drinking beer or soda after bathing "-Before, after and between (IMO) :P
-In appartment houses there usually is one or two saunas you can rent and have regular time to go to sauna.
-The almost most important thing in sauna is to cover yourself with honey. It makes your skin beautiful (My grandmothers mother was a naturopath in Lappland :D )

Ante, the boat my father use to work in also had instructions written in german. My father said it was because every german visitor or new worker from Germany, asked instructions how to behave in sauna. German are very rule-based folk ;)

And to make you all more confused ;) "vihta" is called "vasta" the part of country, I come from :lol:
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Postby Senta » Thu 9 Mar 2006 09:28

Finland special in Late night with Conan O'Brien on this friday 10th of March on NBC :D

http://www.nbc.com/

We will see it on the following wendesday here in Finland :mrgreen:
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Postby David » Fri 10 Mar 2006 05:01

he was quite cool in oscars :D
David
VIP

Postby Senta » Sun 12 Mar 2006 11:58

Did anyone see the Finland-show?
I read that Conan spoke quite nicely about Finland :)
Compared to that language he used about Canada :P :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Return to EN - Off topic madness!