Syberia III - Wish List

Moderators: gail, phil1908

Re: Syberia III - Wish List

Postby Pavelas » Sat 12 Jun 2010 18:39

Hi everyone!
It would be nice if Syberia III would have something similar to Metal Gear Solid series, I talking about heart-touching cutscenes, vivid characters and impresive OST!
Pavelas
Youki

Postby wisnoskij » Sat 12 Jun 2010 18:43

Hi everyone!
It would be nice if Syberia III would have something similar to Metal Gear Solid series, I talking about heart-touching cutscenes, vivid characters and impresive OST!

I would say it already has that, just without the same length of cut scenes.

I loved the characters, OST, and the cut scenes where at worst pretty good.
But to each his own.
wisnoskij
Youki

Postby LaTanya » Thu 4 Nov 2010 15:54

Franky saying i dont see any commercially good continuation of Kate Walker's story.
Why i played the first part? Because of Kate Walker, a regular girl living next to door, we knew she could be one of us! We knew her mama, we knew her boyfriend, we knew she was a human being. The second thing to play this game was the atmosphere, the most beautiful at that time though noir, and of course, up-to-date graphics. Returning to Kate Walker, she neither had hallucinations, nor rode any mammoths or spoke to the dead.

This paragraph should be devoted to the personage without who to my mind, Syberia could never be as successful as it was. It is Oscar. He was great! Wow, i though, this girl talks to a ROBOT, wow, she can take an advice from him, Wow, what if she appeared in NYC with such a friend??? WoW!!! I adore this Robotic Man!!

What did the inventors of the second part do to him? They killed my favorite Oscar. This looks like a cheap series who everyone watches because of the one handsome actor, and after he leaves because the producers do not want to pay him the money he earns,everyone stops watching the series and the ratings fall down. Theres nothing that can prove to me that the producers were right. Theres no other personage who can replace Oscar.
I dont like the fact the Kate talks to insane even dead Hans Voralberg, I do not find any satisfaction in watching how she neglects herself and forgets she is a human being. I do not want Syberia to be mixed up with the Still Life cartoon ever!! These two are separate stories, they have to be separate in future as well!!!

I want Kate Walker to be a little selfish, to think about her personal life, to change her outfits from time to time, to return to that 'mysterious island' and assemble Oscar again and hug him. I want her to leave Hans Voralberg alone again to love his mammoths and become Tarzan boy. Or to take him to the long journey from the lands of sense darkening to the normal world where her parents and her friends are awaiting them.

Thats all for now.
LaTanya
Youki

Postby Spike » Thu 9 Jun 2011 22:39

Syberia III - Walkers revenge!!!(This time it's selfish)

In which Kate Walker has been in Syberia for so long her brain is now a frozen lump.

Which has affected her in so many different ways..... The main one being getting revenge for all the pointless errands she was sent on.

She turns youki into a lovely warm coat, then takes the boat back to the youkal village where she whacks the old woman over the head with her own drum....

Then BURNS down the village....

Then returns to Romansburg. Where she dismantles the musical horses and sells them for scrap.

Then BURNS down the town

From there She travels to Aralbad, where she pushes James into the pool. Whacks the two guys playing chess over the head with the board. Then beats Mr Smetana to a pulp with his mop....

Then BURNS down the spa

Bypassess Komkolzgrad becasue she blew it up.....

Returns to Barrockstadt. Where she sinks the old couples barge, impales the three rectors of the university onto the music stand.... Beats the station master over the head with a bottle of wine.... Stuff and mounts any Amerzone cuckoos she can find. Finds Professor Cornelius Pons has been beaten to death by his students who were bored out of there mind by one of his lectures.

Then BURNS down the unversity.

Returns to Valadilene...

Then BURNS down the village.

Returns to New York...

Then BURNS down the offices of Marson and Lormont.
Your Born. Life's a B*tch. You Die.
Give UP...Go mad NOW...Save your sanity for LATER.
Spike
VIP

Location: Errrrr... NOT quite sure where...it's too dark outside to see.....

Postby Senta » Tue 5 Jul 2011 08:57

No action scenes, please :mrgreen:
Takes one, to know one sweetheart.
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Postby Mykhara » Sun 7 Sep 2014 03:31

I wonder if there's already known a release date for Syberia III.
Mykhara
Youki

Postby Senta » Sat 27 Jun 2015 11:22

I have no idea about release date :) I pre-ordered game
Takes one, to know one sweetheart.
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Postby Siren Drake » Sat 30 Jul 2016 00:37

Silver Cougar,
You think Kate's mother should sue Marson & Lormont?! On what grounds?

I can just picture how that conversation would go if she tried to enlist a lawyer ...
Kate's mother: Hello? I want you to sue the Marson & Lormont firm of LAWYERS for leaving my baby in Russia!
Lawyer: Good God! We'll tear them a new one! How old is your child?
Kate's mother: She's twenty-nine. She used to work for them, but she quit to run around the tundra with some mentally retarded geriatric midget in search of a mythical island overrun with mammoths.
Lawyer: Um ... Wait ... You mean to say she's an ADULT and that she didn't want to come home? Thanksforcalling,ma'am. Haveaniceday.
[click]

With the way Kate's mother was harassing and threatening a whole firm of lawyers, she gave them a better case against her than she had against them! In fact, this whole scenario was one of my gripes about the storyline in Syberia 2. A firm of lawyers ought to know how to deal with an irate, ineffectual woman making empty threats. They had no reason to take on the expense of hiring a New York private eye to go to Russia, which could not have been cheap. What was Marson & Lormont supposed to do? Have Kate kidnapped and brought back by force? Then Kate would have had a case against them for bringing her back!

The only way for anyone to bring Kate back to the U.S. without breaking the law when she has decided that she doesn't want to return is either:
1. Convince the local government that she has overstayed so they'll deport her.
OR
2. Have her declared mentally incompetent and brought home in a straitjacket.
Last edited by Siren Drake on Sat 30 Jul 2016 06:52, edited 2 times in total.
Siren Drake
Youki

Postby Siren Drake » Sat 30 Jul 2016 01:50

My Wish List:

1. Better character models. Kate looks great. Almost everyone else is misshapen. Sometimes to a ludicrous degree.

2. Better story. In Syberia 1, Kate started out as something of a doormat, but during her journey, she found new confidence; Syberia 2 has no character development whatsoever. Mr. Marson, who threatened to fire Kate in Syberia 1 if she didn't get Hans's signature fast enough to suit him, is tearing up Russia in search of her during Syberia 2 as if she were his long-lost daughter; the character about-face was so abrupt it gave me whiplash. In Syberia 1, there was a reason for the professors to be coy about sauvignon grapes when Kate asked; in Syberia 2, the monk who didn't want to tell Kate why she wasn't allowed in the monastery had no such reason and just came across as an obnoxious nut-job. Out of all the people in Romansburg, the person who was entrusted with tokens for shrouds was the person with the least reason to want to deal with it and was also the last person that the monks should have entrusted with it. Then we have a monastery patriarch who can't make up his mind whether Hans is a dangerous influence on Kate or Kate is a dangerous influence on Hans, and we have the guy in charge of the station who can't make up his mind whether he's busy or has nothing to do with his time.

3. Better puzzles. Syberia 1 was no Riven, to be sure, but the puzzles were decent. In Syberia 2, what passed for puzzles was: talk to everyone in the location and go through EVERY conversation path, pick up hard to spot object, apply object to every conceivable mechanism or surface or person, move to next area, talk to everyone in that area and go through EVERY conversation path, apply each and every inventory object to each and every mechanism or surface or person in the area, revisit every area to find that some new person or object just showed up somewhere with no in-game indication, ... You get the idea. Virtually none of the puzzles involved logic or problem solving, meaning that in the strictest sense, this game had almost no true puzzles. And it was WAY too talky. And required way too much backtracking without guidance.

As for the rest of it, I see no reason for major changes in mechanics. The interface is fine. The prerendered 2D graphics work well. Syberia 2 is a bit glitchy, but aside from fixing bugs, I would be cautious about making changes to the mechanics. Giving Kate different hairstyles and adding useless inventory items isn't going to improve the games enough to be worth the development time.

Honestly though, I wonder if there really can be a good sequel. Kate's story has already been told. Hans's story has already been told. The island of Syberia would have none of the elegant buildings like those in Validilene or the monastery. There are no more of Hans's automatons to tinker with on Syberia or in the Youkol village. Kate reached the end of her journey, and has nothing else to do there except go home, apologize to Mom, and try to get her job back. And none of the ideas presented in this thread for Syberia 3's story had any appeal for me.

Honestly, I wonder if Sokal would be better served to write a brand new story with a brand new protagonist. He could still have automatons. After all, the Voralberg factory was in business for several generations and sold automatons throughout all of Europe if not farther afield. Kate could even get a mention or a cameo.

Or I suppose he could keep Kate as his protagonist if he could come up with some grand European project for her to get involved in. Something that was meaningful to *her* for a change, instead of something she was doing for someone else. But definitely something that involves automatons. Maybe she goes back to Validilene and gets involved with restoring the old factory. Maybe she convinces the new owners to make automatons as a sideline instead of completely abandoning them.

I know I don't want to spend much time on the island of Syberia or in the Youkol village: out of all the scenery from Syberia 1 and 2, those were the ugliest, most boring locations of all. Lots of games have good character models that look even better than Kate. No other games have scenery like Validilene.
Siren Drake
Youki

Postby Siren Drake » Sat 30 Jul 2016 07:22

I just watched the E3 footage for Syberia 3, and it looks like I'm getting absolutely nothing on my personal wishlist.

1. For all the added realism in scenery and the more realistic textures for character models, except for Kate, the character models still have cartoonishly misshapen bodies. :/

2. From the sounds of it, the story is going to be about Kate running around setting up a Youkol pilgrimage with snow ostriches. No, Microids. Just No.

3. I don't know about the puzzles yet, but someone posted that there would be timed "puzzles". Which I hate. I do not want my point-and-click adventure/puzzle games turned into reaction time actioners.

It looks as though there have also been a whole lot of changes to fix stuff in the interface that wasn't broken, and the very locations that I listed as being the most boring and the least attractive sound like they'll be the focal point of this game, if my understanding of the story synopsis is correct. Let's hope I'm wrong about that.

Plus, I'm not sure I can get used to Kate's new look, I didn't hear them say that they were going to try to get the same voice actress, and if I hadn't known that this was the latest title in the Syberia series, I never would have guessed it from the opening shots. I'm just not seeing ANY of what made the first game enjoyable.

When it comes to video games, for YEARS now, I have had nothing but one crushing disappointment after another. With all the video game companies out there, with all the new titles that have been released or are on the way, with companies spending literally hundreds of millions of dollars on video games, there was only ONE video game scheduled for 2016 release for which I could feel any enthusiasm at all. That one game is the upcoming title Obduction from Cyan Worlds, and it has already been delayed TWICE.

I'm tired of being disappointed. :(
Siren Drake
Youki

Postby Oscar_ModelloXZ2000 » Sun 31 Jul 2016 08:57

It seems that Kate be younger than Syberia & Syberia II... I don't know your opinions, but, pishically, she reminds me Lara Croft (new Lara Croft by Square Enix)! Her eyes are... bigger? I don't know. Simply, she doesn't seem the Kate Walker we left... Also... her hair... Is it grey!?
I saw the first part of the gameplay... are there checkpoints? I hate them! In a game such Syberia!? No...
I'd like to see new awensome locations as Valadiléne, Komkolzgrad and the others were!
If the game is called "Syberia", I imagine even the automatons... If you want a game with Kate Walker (I'd like it), just create a new franchise, a spin-off and give us a new story. Don't ruin Syberia.
And, I'd really, really like, as a lot of Italians fan would the Italian dubbing with the old voices... NO SUBTITLES, VOICES! You know, we loved the dubbing in Syberia and Syberia II. Our dubbers were awensome! Syberia III without Italian dubbing isn't Syberia!
Oscar_ModelloXZ2000
Automaton

Postby Ante » Sun 31 Jul 2016 10:36

The traditional point'n'click genre in adventure games has practically died. I just recently finished Life is Strange and it was breathtakingly beautiful and really powerful example how the adventure games have changed. If Syberia 3 tries to be something that Syberia and Syberia 2 were - it's all good - that's what the fans are expecting. However the game has to sell, it has to appeal to people who probably never heard of the series before. I watched the gameplay video where
Spoiler:

Kate wakes up from hospital, solves one locked door problem and proceeds further into the facilty
. That basically looked very like the first Syberia games. I was never a fan of the events at Russia and the least favourite part was the Youkol village since that didn't resemble anything from the original steampunk settings that was the selling point to me in a first place. The beautiful mechanical devices, art noveau cities and the abandoned Soviet technology form me the heart and soul of Syberia. That's why I really wish the series would return back to the roots and where it all began. All good stories have some arch of development - I wish to see that in Kate. Abandoning her lawyer career and becoming a full time adventurer is one kind of story but I wish to see something more.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Siren Drake » Sun 31 Jul 2016 15:06

Oscar_ModelloXZ2000 wrote:It seems that Kate be younger than Syberia & Syberia II... I don't know your opinions, but, pishically, she reminds me Lara Croft (new Lara Croft by Square Enix)! Her eyes are... bigger? I don't know. Simply, she doesn't seem the Kate Walker we left... Also... her hair... Is it grey!?
I saw the first part of the gameplay... are there checkpoints? I hate them! In a game such Syberia!? No...
I'd like to see new awensome locations as Valadiléne, Komkolzgrad and the others were!
If the game is called "Syberia", I imagine even the automatons... If you want a game with Kate Walker (I'd like it), just create a new franchise, a spin-off and give us a new story. Don't ruin Syberia.
And, I'd really, really like, as a lot of Italians fan would the Italian dubbing with the old voices... NO SUBTITLES, VOICES! You know, we loved the dubbing in Syberia and Syberia II. Our dubbers were awensome! Syberia III without Italian dubbing isn't Syberia!

No matter how bad Syberia 3 might turn out to be, the only game that it can ruin is Syberia 3. Syberia 1 and 2 will still be the games you loved. That having been said, I wouldn't mind a fresh new series, with or without automatons and with or without Kate Walker, but with the same style and gameplay as Syberia 1.

With nearly black hair in a ponytail and a stained muscle shirt, Yes, the new 3D Kate Walker looks a LOT like Lara Croft from Square Enix's Tomb Raider reboot. With that nearly black hair, ultra pale skin, and heavily-applied black eyeliner, she looks like an Emo goth chick version of Square Enix's Lara Croft. She certainly has lost the softness, delicate coloring, and attractiveness that Kate had in Syberia 1 and 2.

And with Kate's new design channeling Lara Croft, the introduction of timed puzzles, and an initial release that includes game consoles which don't really lend themselves to point-and-click adventure/puzzle games, it looks more and more as though this latest Syberia installment is likely to be much more action-oriented.

I don't mind checkpoints if I also have the ability to control my saves and reloads. I'm not fond of gave save mechanics that are nothing but checkpoint saves, but it isn't necessarily going to ruin the game for me.

But without gorgeous scenery like Validilene, Barrockstadt, the Romansburg monastery, and the snowy forest, the game just won't have a lot of appeal for me. But all we've really seen of the game so far are the opening scenes with one location and some concept art of a Youkol market. It's possible that the rest of the game will have more of the kind of scenery we were hoping to get.

And you may get your Italian dubbing. The E3 video is not a finished product, and it even said explicitly that the voices were temporary, not the final versions.
Siren Drake
Youki

Postby Siren Drake » Sun 31 Jul 2016 15:51

Ante wrote:The traditional point'n'click genre in adventure games has practically died. I just recently finished Life is Strange and it was breathtakingly beautiful and really powerful example how the adventure games have changed. If Syberia 3 tries to be something that Syberia and Syberia 2 were - it's all good - that's what the fans are expecting. However the game has to sell, it has to appeal to people who probably never heard of the series before. I watched the gameplay video where
Spoiler:

Kate wakes up from hospital, solves one locked door problem and proceeds further into the facilty
. That basically looked very like the first Syberia games. I was never a fan of the events at Russia and the least favourite part was the Youkol village since that didn't resemble anything from the original steampunk settings that was the selling point to me in a first place. The beautiful mechanical devices, art noveau cities and the abandoned Soviet technology form me the heart and soul of Syberia. That's why I really wish the series would return back to the roots and where it all began. All good stories have some arch of development - I wish to see that in Kate. Abandoning her lawyer career and becoming a full time adventurer is one kind of story but I wish to see something more.

People have been saying that traditional adventure games are nearly dead for about twenty years now. The genre isn't dead. It just suffers from the fact that designing good puzzles that haven't already been done fifty bajillion times is a lot more difficult than designing combat mechanics.

I understand that Microids needs to make a game that they can market to a sizable audience, but with the dearth of good adventure/puzzle games on the market, any adventure/puzzle game with a good story that has the kind of character development we saw in Kate during Syberia 1, with well-designed puzzles, and with gorgeous scenery like Validilene, Barrockstadt, the Romansburg monastery, and the snowy forest … that's a game that will sell regardless of whether the market is familiar with the brand.

Making Kate Walker look like an Emo goth chick wannabe Lara Croft and making the game's story darker and edgier and adding in more action and essentially reimagining the series to make it more like Square Enix's Tomb Raider reboot just doesn't cut it for me. If I wanted to play a game like Square Enix's Tomb Raider reboot, I'd be playing Square Enix's Tomb Raider reboot. We also already have the Uncharted series, The Last of Us, Halo, Modern Warfare, … a whole bunch of shooters and platformers for the people who like action games.

By contrast, good adventure/puzzle games are few and far between, and if Myst taught game designers anything at all, it should have taught them that a really good adventure/puzzle game can be sold to an even bigger market than your standard actioner, because non-gamers who will never even try a FPS platformer will buy, play, and enjoy a really good adventure/puzzle game and will get their friends and family to buy it too.

The Youkol village is my least favorite location from Syberia 1 and 2 also. The crude, primitive buildings and mechanisms have no beauty or charm, though they're still preferrable to a rundown hospital where people are being put in irons and tortured.
Siren Drake
Youki

Postby Oscar_ModelloXZ2000 » Sun 31 Jul 2016 17:48

And you may get your Italian dubbing. The E3 video is not a finished product, and it even said explicitly that the voices were temporary, not the final versions.

Really? Perfect! But what does it have to do the E3 video? I understood that "temporary voices" were for English/French versions, not for Italian dubbing.

I also have the ability to control my saves and reloads.

Do you mean as Syberia and Syberia II?
Oscar_ModelloXZ2000
Automaton

PreviousNext

Return to EN - Syberia III