job searching

Forum games, funny talk and general crazyness :)

Moderators: gail, phil1908

job searching

Postby jessyroxyoursox » Tue 23 Jun 2009 12:29

ok so i have an interview in a few days but i'd still like to know if anyone here has any good tips on finding a job... it took me 3 years to find my last job and it ended up being the best job i'd ever had.. i need help :(
=:-)
jessyroxyoursox
VIP

Re: job searching

Postby Pifou » Wed 24 Jun 2009 18:28

Well... Image

1) Stay yourself
2) Good presentation (correct clothing)
3) Explain to the man/the woman why he or she needs you for the job

They are expecting a return on investment, show them the way they will earn money thanks to you...

Hope this help

pif ;)
Pifou
Shaman

Postby jessyroxyoursox » Wed 24 Jun 2009 20:35

thankies!!! one of my main problems with interviews is that i get nervous and start stumbling over my words.. im gettin better at it tho! my boyfriend told me that i should just pretend that he was the one interviewing me so i would feel more comfortable. my last interview i tried it and it worked!! so yeah im still nervous...loloolol
jessyroxyoursox
VIP

Postby Pifou » Fri 26 Jun 2009 16:32

Hi jessy, when i have to make an important presentation behind VIPs (managing Directors or CEOs) regarding my job, i can tell you i feel not comfortable at all... My mouth is dry, some sweat runs along my back and my heart beats fast... --> so... the day before and the d-day, i take a medicine that relax me and since --> all my speechs are perfect...

++
pif :wink:
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Ante » Fri 3 Jul 2009 07:08

Even better - try role playing with your boyfriend. He will be the person who wants to hire a new employee and you are the one who wants the job. Set up a desk, some chairs, a door that can be closed (hence the knocking and waiting for the words "Come in" etc.) and then go through the whole process. As a counter argument you could say that "My bf isn't the one who will be interviewing me for the job." That's correct but it doesn't matter. The point is to get your brain on the right track to think about the whole process of being interviewed. Things like how to look into eyes, how to shake hands, how to sit, how to hold your arms, where to look when you are not looking into his eyes, how to keep the rhythm of your speech, how to control the words you are using. Well, everything. What makes us calm and controlled is the feeling when we know that we understand what is happening around us. We are "ourselves" in our homes, in our daily routines, doing things we have been doing a lot and knowing the outcome. You have something that reminds you of your daily life, about the moments when you feel that you are in control. The thing you can do is to pick something to remind you about those moments and bring it to the interview. A photo of your favourite place in your walle... purse, something in your keyring, painted toenails with your favourite colour etc... Usually the clothes we put on for a job interview are NOT our favourite clothes nor they are comfortable or remind us about the best moments of our lives (they probably remind you about the last time you had to sweat in the job interview - so how come reminding yourself about that will help now?).

Then some other things to remember; What ever you think will affect your speech and the words you are using. So no matter how well you present yourself you may end up ruining it all since you are sure at all whether you are the right person to your job. The face to face communication is probably 70% non verbal. So actually the words you are using are LESS important than the gestures, body language and the facial expressions you have. To make it worse - you can't really control them consciously. What you CAN control is your mind.

Oh... I could go on forever but you probably got the point already.

Love and stay calm.

PS. I already forgot one thing I was supposed to write about. The difference between the words: I want and I need. Google the rest so you get the point. But based on the things you've written, indeed you WANT the job. So keep that in your mind.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Pifou » Fri 3 Jul 2009 14:04

Great analysis Ante my friend...
I know you now for a looong time and i'm not surprised at all by the quality of your speech.

We are lucky to have someone like you among our community...
Cheers
pif
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Ante » Fri 3 Jul 2009 14:26

Indeed - somehow I like this sort of stuff. Humans are interesting and sometimes I feel like sharing my thoughts (though I don't want to sound arrogant or anything know-it-all kind of person).

Thanks Pifou for your commnts.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby jessyroxyoursox » Fri 3 Jul 2009 20:14

thank you for the tips Ante!!!! i thought the interview went smoothly but apparently it didn't cuz they never called back...but oh well..movin on to bigger and better things eh? lolololol still fillin out apps like crazy tryin to stay positive!!
jessyroxyoursox
VIP

Postby gail » Sat 4 Jul 2009 18:27

Great attitude to have, Jessy!

Sometimes a relative of an existing employee is hired even though you did well in an interview too, so keep being positive. Attitude is everything! :)
gail
Site Admin

Postby jessyroxyoursox » Sat 4 Jul 2009 21:04

yeah i had that happen to me when i was workin at pier 1....the manager we had hired her niece....and 2 months later she was training to be a manager....at that time i'd been working there for about 10 mths...needless to say....i was fuming....im just glad now that i dont hafta be around them anymore!!! hehehe
jessyroxyoursox
VIP

Postby Ante » Sat 11 Jul 2009 20:09

I'd still like to have an office like the notary has in Valadilene. In these surroundings the job itself could be irrelevant :)

Ante
Site Admin

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Mon 13 Jul 2009 05:16

My opinion of job searching and job interviews is that the only thing you need is to be lucky. Yes, it is mandatory that you go through the motions and strive to have the best interview you can have and look presentable and all that. But if you're out of luck, you're out of luck. Just roll the dice again and hope you get it.

If you catch the person in a good mood, you'll have a good chance of getting it provided you don't jump on top of the desk and do a crazy dance or what not. At the end of the day, it's all luck. The best advise is to be lucky.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby Ante » Mon 13 Jul 2009 11:15

How do you increase your luck then? Maximizing the odds? For me the concept of luck is a bit strange so that's why I try to decrypt what you think about it. So, how to affect in your luck.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Wed 15 Jul 2009 00:49

It's like rolling a dice. You just accept the result as it comes. You cannot improve your luck. You just have to take whatever is dealt. As you can see, I'm a true advocate of fatalism.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Return to EN - Off topic madness!