Syberia III - Wish List

Moderators: gail, phil1908

Syberia III - Wish List

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Sat 18 Apr 2009 23:03

Got ideas for what you like to see on the third game? Put it in!

Here's what I would generally like to see:
1. More real world practical puzzles. I'd really like more common sense applied in adventure games in general.
2. More engaging dialog system. Take a hint from Bioware games, will ya? :) It would be nice to be able to control the subplots and even some part of the mainplot of the game with branching dialog. Make it a little more engaging. Another example is Hotel Dusk.
3. Better soundtrack. Syberia had always a very tiny soundtrack list. It needs to have its own grand epic songs.
4. More life in the game world. Syberia had always had a stoic feel to it partially because the entire game world seemed life less. People do not have their own activities other than being props on the set.
5. Better writing. Syberia I had a real good hook. Syberia II, not quite. Here's to hoping for a better story overall.
6. Might be worth contemplating having a sort of hint system. Completely optional, but there is some value in having this.

Let's start pouring the ideas in!
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Re: Syberia III - Wish List

Postby Xibx » Mon 20 Apr 2009 15:19

- first of all, work hard on the puzzle logic. That goes for item collecting too.

- quick area exit key. Long walk sucks, especially when you have to cross the same area over and over again to find some items you've missed.

- more advanced dialog system, more variety in the lines. It's nice to hear Kate Walker not talking the same thing repetitively like a broken automaton.

- run / walk toggle.

- improved real-time weather effects.

- shader model 3.0, maybe PhysX?

- night chapter.

That's all I can think for now... For the story content, I trust Mr. Sokal is writing something amazing for us right now.
Xibx
Youki

Postby Larington » Sun 26 Apr 2009 22:14

A good hints system built into the game, so that people don't feel compelled to look at the walkthrough too early on (I've found that once I look at a walkthrough once, I end up looking at it many many times, a hint system that guides the player to solutions when they get stuck would be preferrential to feeling compelled to get a solution from the web).

That puzzles be straight-forward, where solutions can be reached by applying common sense and learned knowledge within the game rather than via an item based guessing game. I particularly like the bit in Syberia 2 where you use information from the book to get the right fish to deal with the bear, for example (The music playing at that point in the game helped quite a bit with the emotional situation as well).
Larington
Youki

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Wed 29 Apr 2009 11:27

A hint system is a good idea although I'd prefer that they devise puzzles that are not strange.

There's this game called Culpa Innata and although I didn't quite like it, it had a couple of good ideas to lift from. One is that the game is incredibly non-linear. Some events don't happen and some of them do depending on what you do. Second is that the their interviewing system works really well. You feel some of the tension and you can get to talk to the person across a variety of topics. Lastly, is that you can talk to your best friend just before the day ends and this is where they are able to squeeze in some sort of hint system to the player by allowing the person to bounce off ideas and gather another perspective of the situation.

I hope Microids and Benoit Sokal produce a great game first and foremost... but I'd be delighted if some of our ideas make it here. :)
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby Pifou » Wed 29 Apr 2009 19:37

NiniendoLeibowitz wrote:I hope Microids and Benoit Sokal produce a great game first and foremost... but I'd be delighted if some of our ideas make it here. :)

Yes, i do hope Mr Benoit Sokal to understand Syberia's fans are waiting for a long time for Syb III instead of poor "Paradise" or other medium range games like "Lost Island"...

So much wasted time for nothing... pfff...

Today, i must say I'm not sure to be Syberia fan again... too much time wasted, too much money for nothing... :roll:
Pifou
Shaman

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Thu 30 Apr 2009 12:30

Pifou wrote:
NiniendoLeibowitz wrote:I hope Microids and Benoit Sokal produce a great game first and foremost... but I'd be delighted if some of our ideas make it here. :)

Yes, i do hope Mr Benoit Sokal to understand Syberia's fans are waiting for a long time for Syb III instead of poor "Paradise" or other medium range games like "Lost Island"...

So much wasted time for nothing... pfff...

Today, i must say I'm not sure to be Syberia fan again... too much time wasted, too much money for nothing... :roll:

Yeah, I can relate. I myself am not quite sure how this one pans out. I hope it's not a sequel for the sake of using the brand. Then again, it seems that there isn't much excitement for this title.

I didn't play Paradise so I cannot comment on how that went, but I would suppose that endeavors from both sides of the spectrum, Microids and White Bird, have not yielded positive fruits independently. Hopefully, together they produce something inspired.

Let's keep the game ideas flowing. :)
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby Silver Cougar » Sun 3 May 2009 04:59

My wishlist:
1. Ladies and Gentlement Kate Walker is an explorer now and NOT a lawyer. This wish is not necessary but just a mild suggestion that Kate should be more lax about herself and what she used to be. Try changing her hair style like make her hair longer or you know make her more like an explorer.

2. Do something with that cute furry Youki and make him useful. If you're doing a sequel you have to be fair to what you're doing a sequal about and make sure you mention him or something because that issue wan't resolved either. I'm surprised nobody talks about the little minor issues of the Syberia world.

3. Please tell us more about Kate's background and make her a deeper character and tell us what the hell she feels about Dan, Olivia and her Mom. I don't know about you but going on an adventure with some Youki around the North Pole in Siberia and leaving good old America is NOT what the you know who wants; you know the IRS? I know Marson gave up on her but please you all know that if that was your daughter out there you would sue Marson for giving up right?

4. probably almost the most important LITTLE plot detail: What happened to Hans?

Thank you.
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth is it to have a thankless child?" -William Shakespeare
Silver Cougar
Youki

Postby Senta » Tue 5 May 2009 12:17

I hope there will be no action-scene :oops:
Takes one, to know one sweetheart.
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Postby Youki » Thu 7 May 2009 11:48

Just, please - don't get rid of Youki...
I'm really, really sorry for my English xx.
    * Name: Monika
Youki
Youki

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Sat 9 May 2009 09:09

This is not really a wish list but more of a request. Please at the very least clean up the code so it plays nicely with Wine/CrossOver/Cedega. We Linux users happen to game too and it is always welcome if you are considerate enough to recognize there is such a gaming market there.

I know that Microids won't spend an extra dime on making a full fledged Linux port but why not at least give us something to hope for?
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby Ante » Wed 27 May 2009 11:41

I'm happy as long as it has that magical feeling from the first Syberia. While you're creating/developing it, just keep asking yourself frequently enough "Is this entertaining" or "Am I having fun when playing this game". Keep a healthy distance to the game itself and use decent amount of real end users in testing.

And yes, feel free to use my epiloque (http://www.syberia-series.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7598#p7598). In another words - returning to the old familiar places would be nice (that's what my epiloque is all about). And don't explain everything - leave room for imagination and speculation.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Pifou » Fri 5 Jun 2009 20:49

Ante wrote:I was searching for Syberia files from my old hard drive and found this writing I wrote some time ago but never published due the lack of quality. However I thought to share it with you. My vocabulary is rather limited and I have still a lots of troubles forming a meaningful sentences and generally create the flow in the story, but well, that's enough. Read and enjoy:

---

Kate Walker returns

"It was time to return to Valedilene. I knew I had to return. There was something magical in the place, like something was drawing me back there. I took Mr Charow with me to Aralbad. Something had changed inside me, after seeing him living in such dump for years I wanted to give him a second change. I came to agreement that he could be living there for an entire year at Hoter Kronski and all costs were paid by Soviet Union. On our way back there I bought him a typewriter in order to write down his memories. I didn’t expect a thing but it seemed reasonable because he had a lot to talk about. Now that everything behind the iron curtain was hot and selling well I promiced him to negotiate a deal for publishing his book and we’d share 50/50 the profits. Suddenly I’ve became a publisher – neat!

I stayed a couple of weeks at Aralbad, breathing the frozen wind, drinking probably too many Blue Helena’s, and socialized with those old Russian high ranked military officers, head of the communist party i.e. the chosen one’s. Boy, we got wasted and I heard such stories that even the most skilled writers with tricolor imagination wouldn’t come up with. I listened the wonderful stories of madame Romanski – she was old but her mind was a sharp like a razor blade and she seemed to enjoy again the indivisible attention of mine. I had my MD-recorder at hand and during the days I wrote down our conversations. I didn’t realize until the day of departure but I had brought back new life into this sleeping old hotel. All the personnel and visitors were waving their hands for farewell. I had very mixed feelings. I was in tears of joy. ”Goodbye everyone, I will remember all of you”. Mr. Smetana gave me a farewell present and addressed that I shoulnd’t open it until I’ve left the resort. ”Gosh – another mystery packet” but I felt really warm inside. That sweet old man.

The next stop would be Barrockstad and Mr Pons. I didn’t mind meeting the headmasters again so I slipped quietly inside the main building and knocked at the door of Mr. Pons. We both delighted of the reunion. I gave him, one by one my findings and I could just feel how the old professor was trembling with excitement. While hanging around the campus I remembered to return the books I borrowed earlier.

Finally at the day of my departure I had a walk with Cornelius. He was still overjoyed of the artifacts that I’ve brought to him to examine. We were chatting, and suddenly he took my hands into his own and said in such tranquility in his voice: ”Kate, I will follow your footsteps, I will go there! It may be the last trip of my life, and who knows if I will ever survive. You Kate Walker, have brought new life into me.”
I knew right away who should accompany Mr. Pons. I decided to stay for a while and headed towards the wall. I didn’t know what to say at the moment but I trusted my feminine skills whatever they might be.

It wasn’t easy – see, the Colonel was a man with a mission and besides his eyesight wasn’t good. But for the first he was a soldier, a very determined soldier and for the second, I was convinced that he just needed a mission, an orders to follow. Things wouldn’t happen right away but I convinced him to retire. It took me a week to do it but basically he suggested it first. I just needed to oil the machine a bit.

Later I got a postcards and letters and even photos from Mr. Pons and the retired Colonel. They were doing, as Mr. Pons it described, magnificent findings. Well, I was happy, happy because I could bring life to those two old men.

At this point of an adventure I began to wonder why it’s only old timers I see. Where are the younger ones? I need a man! Well, not, just kidding, but I was kind of missing the comfort and safety that Dan did brought to me. Maybe that was the old me speaking. Even though all the things I’ve survived from I was still yearning back to the old times. Probably not exactly as it was but something like that. Life is not that simple.

Finally I was at the Valadilene. First thing I saw were the mountains at the horizont. The air felt different and brought me back so many memories from the first visit. The bakery was open this time – I bought a tasty breat right out of oven and the innkeeper was, as usual, somewhere but patrolling behind the desk. I got my old room and didn’t mind carrying my own luggage this time. It wasn’t the same whining Kate Walker this time. The same old comfortable bed was waiting for me. I doupt no one slept there while I was gone. I slipped between the fresh sheets and had my first goodnight sleep for ages. This time I had time to use the bathroom as well.

The next day I paid a visit at the office of notary to discuss about business. Yes, I had experienced a lot and maybe lost my interest towards the work but actually it was just the lifestyle I didn’t miss. This whole new world, quiet town at the middle of Alps – like a fairytale. I had an agreement that I could start as a trainee at his office. The salary wasn’t great but enough to cover all the conveniences this lady needed. Slowly I began to learn that there wasn’t just ’Europe’ but a number of places, nationalities, cultures, habits and yes, languages. The will to learn was so strong inside me that it could break solid rock."

Thank you for reading
Yours
Kate

Ante,

i must say like very much your own imaginery sequel of Syb II Ante...

Look at mine mate, it's very short but it could be a sequel of your sequel... :wink:
viewtopic.php?p=13319#p13319

++
Pif :wink:
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Tomeszka » Mon 15 Jun 2009 18:07

I WANNA
-A gripping and extraordinary storyline that makes me able to see the franchise as a whole.
-easy but interesting and funny tasks
-I Do not want 3D evirontment!! that would totally ruin the game! I still want to stare at beatiful pictures!
-cutscenes like In Syb and Syb II
-Youki
-more built environment than natural
-exciting but not too long conversations
-Stictly european scenes
-to find out more about dan and olivia and of course kates background
Tomeszka
Youki

Postby Ante » Mon 15 Jun 2009 18:22

Tomeszka wrote:I WANNA
-A gripping and extraordinary storyline that makes me able to see the franchise as a whole.
-easy but interesting and funny tasks
-I Do not want 3D evirontment!! that would totally ruin the game! I still want to stare at beatiful pictures!
-cutscenes like In Syb and Syb II
-Youki
-more built environment than natural
-exciting but not too long conversations
-Stictly european scenes
-to find out more about dan and olivia and of course kates background

A very good point about the way how SIII will look - being too different compared to first two games would not be a good choice. Actually I would love to see Syberia 3 in exactly same style as Syberia and Syberia 2.

The other good point are the environments. For me the Syberia 1 was better simply because the surroundings and the places were easy to relate to. Maybe the winter theme in Syberia 2 wasn't very exotic choice for Finnish adventurers (me and Senta) :D

Dan and Olivia however were rather shallow and paper thin characters. I would like to know more about inhabitants of Barrockstadt, Valadilene and Aralbad (well, Helena is dead but who knows - maybe she kept journal or something).
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Tomeszka » Tue 16 Jun 2009 14:48

Returning to the old cities would be boring from my point of view. But I would glady go back Romansburg! That town is absolutely awesome!
-And what about going to England or Ireland? there are some awesome landscapes! or Transsylivania!
What I really do dont want are far/near east or african scenes! I really hated Paradise because it inluded these kind of scenes!
STRICTLY European!
Tomeszka
Youki

Next

Return to EN - Syberia III