Talvisota

Forum games, funny talk and general crazyness :)

Moderators: gail, phil1908

Talvisota

Postby David » Sat 7 Jan 2006 03:56

Did anyone here see the movie "Talvisota" ? Probably only Ante or Senta could have seen it :P Anyway its the first finish movie i ever saw...was pain in the arse to 'get it' :twisted: I found it pretty good except for funny battle sequences....cruel :| but not very professionally made.
by the way, finish language is crazy! it sounds so complicated. Pronounciations looks very hard too.

anyway is there any other good suommi movies?
David
VIP

Postby Ante » Sat 7 Jan 2006 09:37

With one m and capital letter, Suomi movies.

Yes, I have seen Talvisota years ago and can't remember much of it. It was probably a crappy film. But generally I can't recommend you Finnish movies because they all are crap, believe me. There are a couple of movies, like the ones directed by Aki Kaurismäki, but if you are not a friend of French art movies where two people discuss two hours in a room how miserable their life is and drink and smoke constantly, then don't bother. The other somehow "good" Finnish movies are the ones directed by Pertti "Spede" Pasanen. He created somehow James Bond'iscue series of "Uuno" movies starring an anti-hero and featuring "beautiful" women and crazy (and useless) inventions.

There's a one site that gathers the information of Finnish DVD releases (but the site is only in Finnish) - http://www.dvdkotelo.com/.

But now that I remember I think that the good ones I've seen lately are Badding and Rentun Ruusu. I don't know wether the DVD releases of these movies has English subs, but these two I would recommend anyway.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Senta » Sat 14 Jan 2006 19:44

David, I have'nt seen Talvisota :oops: I usually do not watch war-movies.

David wrote:by the way, finish language is crazy! it sounds so complicated. Pronounciations looks very hard too.
LOL :lol: finnish is a language very hard to learn ;) Did you know?... J.R.R. Tolkien was a professor of finnish language and spoke it fluently 8)

Star wreck is made in Finland too :D
You can downloaded it from there http://www-fi3.starwreck.com/
It had been download over 4 million times by now. So it is the most seen Finnish movie ever :D

We ordered it via internet as a support to makers. I haven't seen it yet (as a matter of fact I haven't seen any movies for a long time, have no time to watch) but Marco said it was funny. It is a parody from Star Treck.

Yesterday here was in premiere a movie called "Matti". It tells (a fictional) story about Matti Nykänen, the finnish skijumper.
That is a movie I want to see :P
Takes one, to know one sweetheart.
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Postby Ante » Sat 14 Jan 2006 22:40

Good that you mentioned Star Wreck. Yes, I am very happy that this movie exists! It's like Linux - these guys made it "just for fun" and what happened - it's the, as Senta said, most seen Finnish movie ever - and yes - spoken in Finnish with English subs.

However - the other approach to Finnish short films can be found at http://www.pixoff.net/. The site is in Finnish, but you can find good short films from there anyway. The words you need to know are:

Elokuvat = Movies
Tyylilajeittain = Listed according to the style
Kokeellinen = Experimental
Uusimmat = Latest
katsotuimmat = The most seen / downloaded
Kuukauden = of the month
Arvostetuimmat = The most rated
Katso = watch
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Senta » Sun 22 Jan 2006 22:46

Ante wrote:Good that you mentioned Star Wreck.

Of course :D It is like Nokia, Linus Torvalds and sauna ;)
Takes one, to know one sweetheart.
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Return to EN - Off topic madness!