BAD NEWS....

Syberian community related topics.

Moderators: gail, phil1908

BAD NEWS....

Postby phil1908 » Thu 5 Jan 2006 09:55

yesterday, I had a talk with Wedge, a "important" member of Adventure Europe site, about MC2, the french part of Microids, responsible of Microids sites and forum.

Speaking with a old worker now part of THQ editor, the company seems to be closed, in liquidation, with only a bookkeeper to estimate what can still be sold!!!

so, no more hope to see one day the sites and forums returning to the normal point...

maybe, about the licenses of the games, they will find somebody who will be interested....

hoping for an official news as soon as possible........ :cry:
phil1908
Site Admin

Postby V.N. » Thu 5 Jan 2006 15:35

:shock:

Please?

*mourns*
(8/29/2010)
1 year, my grouchy love <3
1 howling year!
And haven't we both enjoyed it?
V.N.
Automaton

Postby Pifou » Thu 5 Jan 2006 16:01

I am sad in the way in which this fabulous game is considered...
This game is considered as a vulgar commercial product and not as a masterpiece...
I am sad also for the talented developers which carried out my favourite video game... :cry:
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Ante » Thu 5 Jan 2006 22:04

Yeah, but what can you say - in this world the money says the final world. Sad to hear though. But what can we do - use our imagination, seek for new stories, new fantasies or even create ones. Who's with me?
Ante
Site Admin

Postby Pépé » Thu 5 Jan 2006 22:12

Money rules the world........ :cry:
Il faut prendre le temps de prendre son temps.

Pépé
VIP

Postby gail » Thu 5 Jan 2006 22:15

Seeking out interesting games and sharing that information here is a good idea, Ante. I'm playing Zork:Nemesis and have really enjoyed this older game.

Thanks for the update through Wedge, Phil. At least we know what happened to the Still Life and Syberia2 forums. I hope the former employees of MC2 have found jobs with other companies by now.
gail
Site Admin

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Fri 6 Jan 2006 01:19

Strangely, I'm not so affected by this piece of news. I saw this a mile away with what was happening... just with the Canadian studio and the erratic nature of the official forums. Also, with a number of months of silence is enough to stir up news of the studio closing down.

I'm not a bit surprised. What I do wonder is that I have a notion that the point-and-click genre in general is still quite healthy in Europe... why does the French studio close from this?

There's only fragments of clues left for us to deduce. But ultimately, nothing changes the fact that Microids is closing. I do hope that whoever takes the licenses is more than capable of pushing the games into fresh, new, and different directions.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby phil1908 » Fri 6 Jan 2006 08:59

NiniendoLeibowitz wrote:There's only fragments of clues left for us to deduce. But ultimately, nothing changes the fact that Microids is closing. I do hope that whoever takes the licenses is more than capable of pushing the games into fresh, new, and different directions.

I'm 100% with you: the licenses have to be taken over by somebody else to give the game a new impulse....
phil1908
Site Admin

Postby Sunich » Fri 6 Jan 2006 19:01

Hmm... i knew this thing is about to happen.
It would be great if Sokal bought the rights & released new Syberia... 'Dream on, dream on'...
Sunich
VIP

Postby Pifou » Fri 6 Jan 2006 19:52

NiniendoLeibowitz wrote:I saw this a mile away with what was happening... just with the Canadian studio and the erratic nature of the official forums.

Yes i can remenber what you said some time before Niniendo...
Unfortunately --> you were right... as Sunich were...

I guess i would not believe it was true at this time... :cry:

Pif *sad*
Pifou
Shaman

Postby David » Sat 7 Jan 2006 03:39

Strangely, I'm not so affected by this piece of news

same here actually. i knew this would happen.

actualy even closure of microids doesnt bother me. apart from syberia they didnt make much good. People are not loosing jobs anyway and they will work hopefully on more sucesfull projects.
David
VIP

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Sat 7 Jan 2006 09:58

I'm not so sure about people not losing jobs from this because the French studio closing down would displace a considerable number of people. That's a very sad fact no matter how you put it.

I do hope is that the new titles that are coming out prove the genre is far from unprofitable. And for the studios that are still up making these games, they should push the genre forward. Nobody will like games that feel like they could've been found in the early 90s.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby phil1908 » Sat 7 Jan 2006 10:13

NiniendoLeibowitz wrote:I'm not so sure about people not losing jobs from this because the French studio closing down would displace a considerable number of people

not sure there were a lot of people still working there....since the canadian part was bought by Ubisoft! But even a few is too much.... :?
phil1908
Site Admin

Postby Senta » Sat 14 Jan 2006 19:16

That is sad news :(

I thought it was just a matter of time when official forum will be out of order for good :?
I hope people found new jobs there in France.

Sunich wrote:It would be great if Sokal bought the rights & released new Syberia... 'Dream on, dream on'...

It would be too good to be true :wink:
Takes one, to know one sweetheart.
-Kate Walker-
Senta
VIP

Postby Pifou » Thu 19 Jan 2006 11:45

Pépé wrote:Money rules the world........ :cry:

"Let’s face it - man’s best friend is money."
:wink:
Pifou
Shaman

Next