Kate Walker's background story and life before Syberia 1 + 2

Syberian community related topics.

Moderators: gail, phil1908

Kate Walker's background story and life before Syberia 1 + 2

Postby Silver Cougar » Fri 10 Oct 2008 18:14

:hello: If you were the writer of a Syberia prequal, what would you make for Kate's background story and life before Syberia 1? What kind of person would she have been based on what we've seen and heard from the two games? :idea: :D
"How sharper than a serpent's tooth is it to have a thankless child?" -William Shakespeare
Silver Cougar
Youki

Re: Kate Walker's background story and life before Syberia 1 + 2

Postby V.N. » Fri 10 Oct 2008 22:58

In my mind she was a woman of career, and always busy. She lived in a flat with Dan, her annoying boyfriend ("When are you coming home sweetie?" "Don't you understand? I am NOT coming home! Now go and have some fun with Olivia!...")

Her "best friend" Olivia ("Waaaaaauwww Kate! U r SOOOOO lucky! So faaar away from NYC! Anyways, when r U coming home?" "Go ask Dan..") worked together with her and they hang out together after work

Her mother ("What's Europe like?" "Nothing at all, mom... Europe is just a legend") was problably a lawyer too or from a rich family (She sounds kind of a first-class lady to me)

I know nothing about her father.

Her boss Mr Manson (?) ("You've got 24 hours to travel across Europe in a train that needs to be wound-up every tenth minute!") either wanted to give Kate a better possision in her Job or simply wanted to get rid of her (for some time) and sent her on some work in Europe. First she didn't want to but after a while she accepted and left America for good (Psst... You know what happens then)

All this thrown together would look like any Tv-serie about the life in a big city.
(8/29/2010)
1 year, my grouchy love <3
1 howling year!
And haven't we both enjoyed it?
V.N.
Automaton

Re: Kate Walker's background story and life before Syberia 1 + 2

Postby Ante » Sat 11 Oct 2008 10:09

From Amazon.com reviews:

First Off: the characters: you play Kate, a Lawyer with the spine of a jellyfish a verbally abusive boss and a dink of a boyfriend. Kate is an unrealistic character. This woman is supposed to be an attorney, and yet she wanders around wearing side-stitched painted on leather pants and a windbreaker to meetings with clients? Ugh. The model itself appears emaciated and resembles a teenager rather than an adult. Plus, there's her personality: Kate is a pushover, and can easily be convinced to play errand girl for every weirdo in town. Does this sound like an American attorney? Hardly.

The game's attempt to have a seemingly strong female character is undermined by a number of "Frailty, thy name is woman" sequences (The main character being physically weak is somewhat excusable, but her refusing to touch a boat oar because it is slimy? Give me a break!).

(2) The main character was not very likable to me. For instance, she actually listened to these rude people on her telephone long beyond the point when a rational person would have hung up and gone on with life. Her "development" is shallow at best.
Ante
Site Admin

Return to EN - General