[Solved] Porting on Mac OS X

All technical issues here please :)

Moderators: gail, phil1908

[Solved] Porting on Mac OS X

Postby iGodness » Mon 28 Jul 2008 04:14

Well, my problem is not a real technical problem... I just would like to know when Microids will develop Syberia for Apple Mac OS X. I've received an e-mail by Microids with written they're developing a lot of Microids' games for Apple iPhone... but for Apple computers?
Does someone know something about porting Syberia on Mac OS X?

I hope you could answer to my post and not delete it... I'm waiting for 3 years... and finally Syberia will be released for Apple iPhone 2.0. But I use Apple Mac OS X 10.5.4! :/
iGodness
Youki

Re: Porting on Mac OS X

Postby stone » Mon 28 Jul 2008 17:04

Let me quote Microids on this:

We have no plan to develop on Mac computers right now, although we begin to consider this platform again. We indeed have a number of questions on this, but the market remains up-to-now too small to develop a Mac version of Syberia which would not be a financial loss :(
We keep a very close eye on the Mac market and as soon as its market share is significant, we'll jump on this opportunity!
stone
Site Admin

Postby iGodness » Mon 28 Jul 2008 17:09

Well.. at least now I know something more...
Thank you.
iGodness
Youki

Postby Pifou » Mon 25 Aug 2008 19:03

Hello iGodness & welcome,

The solution exists under Linux environment, the name is "Wine", it's a kind of very powerful emulator for microsoft programs... (needs a very good computer for running games)
Maybe, Mac users developed such program for your favorite OS... i think it's not impossible...

++
:wink:
Pifou
Shaman

Postby iGodness » Tue 26 Aug 2008 01:07

Emulation in Mac OS X is not a problem. We have Wine too. Then we can use Parallels, Cross Over, VMWare and many many others.
Anyway, we could use BootCamp to install a complete Windows OS in our Mac Computer.
But my Mac is a PowerPC and not X86, this is why I can't run Windows.

Microids has assured me Syberia will be released for Apple iPhone before the end of the year, this is why I hope they'll develop it for Mac OS X in future.

Anyway, emulation is emulation... if I need to install Windows on my Mac ( :desperate: ) I'll install it natively.

Windows on Mac! What a... :prr: I use Mac because I DON'T want to use Microsoft's OS :bah:

Please Microids... Think Different!
iGodness
Youki

Postby Ante » Tue 26 Aug 2008 08:02

I think that this rambling has no point. There are plenty of games on OS X and if you don't fancy Syberia on Windows you can always get a PS2 :)

Basically - I think that translating games from one system to other is not that big deal. Most of the content is platform independent anyway and theoretically games like Syberia (i.e. a video game that doesn't rely heavily on graphical effects produced on fly) should run on any machine once the hardware requirements are met.

So why not to release - time, money, low return on investment ratio. Think about the gamer segment as well - first the number of consumers, then the number of consumers that spend their money on video games, then the number of these people who rather play on PC than on gaming console, then the number of PC gamers who buy adventure games and then the number of these people who use OS X instead of Windows in their PC - and you end up with a very small number.
Ante
Site Admin

Postby iGodness » Tue 26 Aug 2008 09:33

That's true. Fortunately analysts say mac users are increasing day by day. I just need to wait. Microids says: "we begin to consider this platform again".

The first step is iPhone, maybe Mac also will arrive soon.

See ya! :hello:
iGodness
Youki

Postby Pifou » Tue 26 Aug 2008 20:07

iGodness wrote:Please Microids... Think Different!

Some years ago, i have bought a game with 2 cds inside... one for windows users and another one for Mac users... at this time, i said to myself :"it's great... game programers are evoluting to the right direction..."
But now, i must admit it was an illusion... they still stick to Microsoft Billions orders and they don't want to change their mind...

God bless them all...

pif Image
Pifou
Shaman

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Fri 5 Sep 2008 02:19

There won't be a Mac port in a while nor there will be a Linux port, which is a shame.

Wine should be good, I think, but using Wine also hurts Linux game porting chances too. I do my best to refrain from using Wine whenever possible. It just lets those companies get away with ignoring Linux users, or in this case, Mac users too.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Return to EN - Technical Support