I'm back!

Forum games, funny talk and general crazyness :)

Moderators: gail, phil1908

I'm back!

Postby Vivie » Thu 29 May 2008 09:01

Long time no see my friends? eh?

been too busy, and the last few days were the most hectic , as I was undergone an Cochlear Implantation Surgery to regain my hearing loss..I got operated on Thursday , had minorities , like excessive bleeding,thick skull , and a few other problems , plus the doctors forgot that I was hypotasic and gave me the wrong kind of meds..hence the bleeding..

I got discharged last afternoon, and since then I've been at home , recuperating and trying to reorder my apartment ( it's a mess ) and my life..I also got the implant activated pretty early , this monday..till now , I can't stand hearing for more than 20 minutes at a time , but I hope , over time , to maximise it.

I am hoping that everything will be fine from now on , been too hectic to write, but I occasionally spoke with Gail on MSN..

If you have any q&a for my operations , feel free to ask , and in a few days I will post again my first impressions..Sound is so vital..and to leave you with food for thought..has anyone of you , ever thought , that the sweetest sound is when you kiss someone and can hear it too? I heard it a few days ago, and I still am marveling this thought..

Have the best of days!!
Vivie
VIP

Re: I'm back!

Postby phil1908 » Thu 29 May 2008 10:58

nice to see you back...and in a better state of health. As I understand correctly your words, it has been a gret operation, but as you say, the sounds are very important
hoping it will go better and better with the time :wink:
phil1908
Site Admin

Postby Pifou » Thu 29 May 2008 11:33

Yes Vivie, it's a long time we haven't seen you and it's so nice to see you again...
I don't know what is to be "hypotasic" but my brother is doctor (specialized in Medical Imagery) and i can get information from him for you if you like...
just let me know...
Try to relax as much as possible and keep talking with us ;)

Hugs
pif
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Vivie » Thu 29 May 2008 19:21

"hypotasic" means that my blood pressure is lower than normal , and is the quite opposite of hypertasis which is an high blood pressure. To me , it's genetically who i am..I always had really low blood pressure and mostly never is a problem..sometimes like when in an accident or operation that the doctors do not know , or forgot that you are hypotasic, can lead to some complications.

As for me and my health , I'm moving around the home , although I don't do heights and some heavy work..I only tidy water the flowers and make the beds..my brother's making the cooking with some help from me ( he doesn't know his way around my kitchen ) and finishing some of the summer jobs , like collecting the carpets and getting the summer clothes..He also stays over just in case of emegenercies.

I'm supplied with antibiotics and antioxidants three times a day and also am taking some of my allergy meds,and I am forbidden to have a fan in my room as it might cause me to get sick..and I'm melting from the heat!

This afternoon I managed to activate the implant for more than 3-4 hours and it was really wonderful..strange although. I wish I could go a walk or something , but I'm still in bandages light ones mind you , and I don't like to be gawked at. I also fetched my meds from the drugstore yesterday , and I was given a wide birth from the clientele..for goodness sake , I am merely operated..not terminally sick...propably because most assume that I have tumour..which I think it's too stupid.

anyway enough of my bitching..I'm glad to know that I haven't been forgotten..Q) brings a nice feeling
Vivie
VIP

Postby phil1908 » Fri 30 May 2008 08:02

you know Vivie, even it's life is taking you far from the syb forum, you're stay always in our minds, like some others too..
take care
big kiss
phil1908
Site Admin

Postby Pifou » Fri 30 May 2008 12:09

Yes, you are our "old" good friend as Phil said...
I am forbidden to have a fan in my room as it might cause me to get sick..

Can you install small climatisation pack in your room ?... some are very low price in the shops today...
Do you live close to the sea Vivie ?... maybe you could take a sea bath as it's very good for health normally...

Keep talking with us Dear and don't forget : "there's no problems, there's only solutions..." (André Gide)

pif
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Vivie » Fri 30 May 2008 22:37

Hello again!

I've managed to have my implant on for most of the afternoon and well into the night..I am going fine..got off one medicine tonight (YAY! ) and will get another one off tomorrow!

I've been considering ordering an AC for the living room , heat is going to be opressive here! I do live quite near to a seaside , but it's accessible only if you have a licence and a car and I have neither!

Although all this being inside home for fear of infections is really getting to me! I'm forbidden to heaven sakes get a cold or anything or it'll lead to a severe infection and me landing to hospital again. A friend of mine did the same operation , and a month later landed again at hospital with infection.and as I have an allergy reaction to humidity , my throat is quite closed , and my folks think that I'm going for an infection, and I try not to snap to them,and I added my allergy meds back again , to prove that I have that under control.

Pretty soon though I'll be demonstrating Spiderman moves on the roof out of plain boredom..being caged is really oppressive!

New sound for today : I heard myself sneeze , and I surreptiously looked for someone else behind me.it really was the strangest sound ever!!My brother's still laughing with that!
Vivie
VIP

Postby gail » Sat 31 May 2008 16:07

Welcome back.

Finally you got the implants. Hurray for you. How interesting it is to read your reactions to the sounds you now can hear too. :D Hey, it makes sense to be careful you don't get an infection, since your brain is so close to the location of your surgery. ;) No Spiderman climbing for you... yet. :lol:

Congrats Vivie, on finally having this operation.
gail
Site Admin

Postby Vivie » Sat 31 May 2008 22:09

Yeah , but I got just this one implant! I'd like to go bilateral, but it's almost impossible here..

Tomorrow , I will go in the hospital to remove the light bandages and the stiches and I will finally wash my hair..yay!!! If I don't shower AND wash my hair , I will never wake up fully!!!these days I feel like I'm half dozing...

I feel pretty okay , although I'm stinking like a pig..from sweating , I have the external switched on ,and the light bill on my body went up..for so long , my ear was half defective , and never needed much power..and after the activation , needs way more than I can handle..so I'm pretty much exhausted most of the time!!and sweating too...it sure is harder than running a mile ...

well I'm off for my night shower ( and no washing my hair yet :( ) and my night meds..
My ear feels a bit stiff with this many stitches..I hope I feel better soon..
Vivie
VIP

Postby Vivie » Mon 2 Jun 2008 18:21

Update..

removed half the stitches..the other half on Wednesday..But I managed finally to remove all the gauses and I have only a stick bandage over the scar..

Since I removed the stitches, I can open my mouth wide , and I can't stop yawning! :mrgreen: I also managed to have my implant activated while I was out and I did felt good..a bit weird but good!!

The downside is that the doctor made me take the medicines for six more days ( I was finishing the prescription on Sunday and couldn't wait..now he's added 6 extra days! ) I can't stand the taste of one especially..yeuch!

I also managed to do a bath and wash my hair by my mother , it was a bit stretching, as not to get my scar any water , but we managed it! Now I feel fabulous and most importantly , AWAKE!!!

I also realized that summer's started , and finals are looming..I better start buckling down again..but my mother objects for me going to college as there's still the risk of the infection..says for the first time that I should go to my hometown and stay there for the entire duration! :? And I don't feel too comfortable with the idea , as me and my mother are at my home , and snapping matches are already commenced :lol: :roll: :twisted: we do snap to each other at least twice a day for something or other trivial.What would be in store in summer?

there 's my news for now..more on wednesday!!

I do hear voices , but they have a cartoonish quality , and sometimes it's too hilarious!!it gets tiresome though soon!!
Vivie
VIP

Postby V.N. » Mon 2 Jun 2008 19:59

Welcome back, Vivie

Excuse me, I'm curious; is this the first time you've ever heard anything?
(8/29/2010)
1 year, my grouchy love <3
1 howling year!
And haven't we both enjoyed it?
V.N.
Automaton

Postby Vivie » Mon 2 Jun 2008 22:27

Hello VN..

No , I've been hard of Hearing since birth..I was wearing hearing aids for my entire life,and since the age of ten I was wearing only the left hearing aid , the right didn't help me at all!! I could hear and talk and I never learnt sign language..though my hearing was detoriaring rapidly..a few years ago I bought a digital hearing aid which helped me tremendously, I even managed to call an converse on phone with few close friends and relatives.

Although my hearing worsened , I coped and lived my life.I had my college courses. I could manage with lipreading or speechreading.

Last year , I was looking through for a new digital aid , to replace my old as it was time for farewell..and a friend with the same problems , had gotten implanted and she was too happy..so I decided to start all the running and the paperwork..that's why I was so busy..

I got approved a month ago , and I got operated ten days ago..the joke of the situation was that I didn't knew that I was being operated till the day BEFORE the operation! :twisted: that one , had me run off my feet to try and make some time for some projects and college stuff!!

With the implant , I am hearing sounds that with my old hearing aid , never would have! and theyre the subtle ones..whispering I love you , paper rustling , the birds chirping..

and what's more , I now can sometimes distinguish this special lilt at the voice when my mother talks ONLY to me..not to my brother or my family at all..and it's soo subtle..but I can hear it!
Vivie
VIP

Postby gail » Tue 3 Jun 2008 11:02

Hey Vivie o/
Sounds like you are making great progress there. :D
Can you finish any exams at home online?
gail
Site Admin

Postby Pifou » Tue 3 Jun 2008 13:06

Medical search has made a lot of progresses in hear surgery...
I'm glad you could take a benefit from science Vivie... (welcome to this noisy world... :lol: )

Cheers :wink:
pif
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Vivie » Wed 4 Jun 2008 22:35

No gail , here's not the online world..lol

I try to do what I can..

Pif , it is way too noisy sometimes!!
Vivie
VIP

Next