2006 adventure games sector situation

About all kinds of video games: PC, XBOX, GC, PS2, etc.

Moderators: gail, phil1908

2006 adventure games sector situation

Postby Sunich » Wed 13 Dec 2006 13:34

"It's long since been noted by many PC game players that adventure gaming has been on the decline. This year it reached the point that, for the first time since we started doing this about 10 years ago, we couldn't even come up with five solid finalists for an Adventure Game of the Year award."
That's what gamespot.com mailing list says. :( Any comments?
Sunich
VIP

Postby gail » Wed 13 Dec 2006 17:22

Ten years ago, I didn't know what an adventure game was. Now I read different definitions of what "adventure" games are. With this changing definition, timed sequences, more action etc., maybe 'adventure' games are just evolving or being blended with other game genre's.

Hope they don't totally disappear.
gail
Site Admin

Postby Pifou » Wed 13 Dec 2006 22:13

in his interview Benoit Sokal talks about aventure games...
he says that adventure games are not the priority today for commercial purposes... war and violent games are the priority where each one can easyly hit/destroy virtual unwanted frightening creatures...
Hmm... but... he also says that adventure games will come back soon when the people will recover a real brain... again... hehe

sorry guys, but wait & see... ;)
Pifou
Shaman

Postby Sunich » Thu 14 Dec 2006 05:26

the problem is, people don't like to think and play at the same time. :)
Sunich
VIP

Postby David » Mon 18 Dec 2006 01:25

thats the idea Sunich. you wanna rest and do something which doesnt require too much thinking!
however i think its rather bad attidude...its like not having any intelectual movies or books :shock:
i do hope that there will be some brain squeezing game sin the near future :D
Also adventure games are in some sort of slow transition now...from old and overused 2d to something else. Obviously the current 3d thing is not the best medium for adv.games since they always involve some sort of action, which makes them not adventure games anymore.
David
VIP

Postby Sunich » Tue 19 Dec 2006 05:45

totally agree with that. introducing new tech to adventures makes it too tempting to get some action in the game.
Sunich
VIP

Return to EN - Games Related