Syberia release on Nintendo

About all kinds of video games: PC, XBOX, GC, PS2, etc.

Moderators: gail, phil1908

Re: Syberia release on Nintendo

Postby Overmann » Mon 9 Jun 2008 18:25

Yup :wink:

In primavera, quando non sarò più un ferroviere, allora finalmente potrò piangere.
syberiaitalia.com admin
Overmann
Site Admin

Postby Ante » Fri 4 Jul 2008 08:45

Moved to "Games Related".
Ante
Site Admin

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Fri 25 Jul 2008 00:00

I think this is such a bad idea. Have they considered the population of PC owners who bought Syberia 1 and 2, plus the PS2/Xbox owners who bought Syberia 2? DS development is relatively cheaper than full blown console games, but they are really pushing their luck too far.

I could understand better if Still-Life got a port (that was released only in the PC platform, as far as I remember). In fact, it would be much better if Still-Life got the downsize port and got all the purported deleted scenes restored.

And that's coming from a person who played Still-Life and thought that game sucked sooo bad.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby doomer » Sat 26 Jul 2008 05:38

Well, what I am worried about is that Syberia for DS is going to be a really cut-down port. Probably it will be missing many animations, almost sure it will lack all speech.. and I would personally never recommend people to play that port which would be lacking in so many areas.

Don't get me wrong, the DS is an amazing console. I think they're doing a great job with adventures. I played Hotel Dusk a bit, I loved it. I will try to finish it, but I started ff3, so I'll guess I'll finish that one first. Probably it might make Syberia more popular, but there is a significant chance that something goes wrong with the port. That and the fact that it will be missing so many elements, which I consider vital for any game, especially an adventure, makes it a definitely no to me. Personally, I would tell my friends to get the PC version. There's tons of incredible games to play on the DS, sadly I cannot recommend Syberia.
doomer
Youki

Postby phil1908 » Sat 26 Jul 2008 08:07

they have made the same with Runaway 2 I have baught on DS: no sounds and a lake of animations :x
phil1908
Site Admin

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Sat 26 Jul 2008 10:04

Personally, I am not entirely bummed when it regards to a PC to DS downsize porting of a product. From a developer's point of view, fidelity is a huge thing, and the challenge is what sort of shortcuts you can take to port the game from PC to DS. Obviously you lose out on some things, but that's something that cannot be helped. If you bought Runaway on the DS, you should know what you have gotten yourself into. Buying it and expecting a PC-level experience is very unrealistic.

I found Runaway 2 DS a daunting effort and from a technical aspect, they've done it pretty well. However, I've always hated Runaway since Part 1.

Back to the Syberia DS game. Clearly somethings will be missing when compared to the PC game. If you're a DS only player, then this might be your thing. What I don't get is, how many folks are there who are into adventure gaming and haven't played Syberia?

The market is already a niche on its own, and this is just an even narrower niche to target. I think it's not a good deal.

If they are porting Syberia, the best way to entice players is to lift the plot, and rethink about the presentation technique. Play to the hardware's strength, because a simple direct port isn't quite interesting to hear.

One such thing is allowing Kate to scribble all her notes by letting the player do the scribbling. It's an idea especially when the PC game displays a notebook of sort with all the points in discussion.

From the looks of it, it's looking like a direct port, and that's a shame.
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby NiniendoLeibowitz » Wed 11 Apr 2012 23:18

Been putting time into the DS port. Man, it's such a different animal. I've got no problems playing the PC version, but in this game... I got stuck plenty of times. It's a very different game and its pixel hunting style gaming don't work with the DS.

For those looking for the DS walkthrough. Here's likely the only one out there.
http://www.supercheats.com/nintendods/w ... ough01.txt
NiniendoLeibowitz
VIP

Postby pouhacker » Fri 16 Jan 2015 13:56

very good post...point specific.
pouhacker
Youki

Return to EN - Games Related